Rivian R1S and R1T Configurator Live

posix

Reaction score
pricing is pretty competitive imho to other electric suv / trucks (tesla cybertruck, electric hummer, etc). all currently configurations are all quad motor.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
We now have two Teslas in the house. First, we bought a 2013 Model S 60 new for my wife, and she loved it for 115k miles. Now she wants me to DD it. I like it well enough, but I also like my 1M, so I am driving it as a commuter to help the planet and saving the 1M for weekends. She just got a Model Y as a replacement ("I like to sit up higher" she says). It's OK, but the S drives much better with lower center of gravity and more sidewall on the tires. Both are satisfactory vehicles. I think the Taycan is super cool, but I can't stomach the price.

That said, I love the Rivian truck, but the price is just too high. Especially when gas is 2 bucks a gallon here. If we had gas taxed up to 5 bucks a gallon (as I think it should be), then it would start to make more economic sense to buy a Rivian. As it is, you can buy a loaded Honda Ridgeline for about 43 grand. Less power and torque, but no range anxiety.

I am not sure if these electric startups will succeed in the US market unless they are legislated into being though tax credits, gas tax etc. They may, however, be huge in China, which drives the EV market and has no domestic oil.

posix

Reaction score
the 67k base model price is very steep but competive to other larger EV vehicle. in the future there may be cheaper models with single or double motors that could be half the price. :)

range anxiety is one of my top issues at the moment. i dont want to drive a few hours then have to stop for a few hours to charge at like 16 or 20 miles an hour at a non-fast charging station.

by the time i do need a truck for practical reason (mainly towing), charging networks would have grown and price will probably have dropped.

Last edited:

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Don't worry about $5 gas, with the proposed rules regarding drilling and fracking, that will be a bargain