Rocker panels

IS3FIFTY

Reaction score
I'd appreciate any insight into how the various layers of the rocker panel are held in place: I removed the decorative molding which is attached via the little plastic thingies. The panel beneath the molding has some tiny screws which I was able to remove however this panel is still holding firmly. I'm tempted to pull but 1) don't know if there are any other fasteners 2) don't want to bend it.
Also, how many layers in total are there? I read somewhere that there are 3.
Thanks in advance.

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you include the outer cover which should be held on by screws only, there are four- Outer cover, outer rocker, intermediate rocker and inner rocker. Work your way around the edge of the cover with a thin bladed scraper (Use non metallic if you are afraid of scratching). Perhaps the PO had it welded on for some reason? The three layers underneath are spot welded together and edge welded to the chassis at various points to form an attempted rigid web. Unfortunately, this captured area serves as a greenhouse for all the relatively unprotected metal to corrode from the inside out. Points of entry for water are the rear window from rain and washing, sunroof drain if you have one, and wheel splash from front and rear if the entry points at the ends of the rockers have been compromised enough. The outer rocker(not cover) has drain passages in the bottom which need to be open so that water can drain. Once these get clogged with rust chips, the rate of corrosion grows geometrically.

Extraordinary measures need to be taken to protect these areas from corrosion. You can get quotes from this board like- Don't wash/spray with a hose and don't drive in the rain. Do a search here to learn how many have shored up defenses against the tin worm in this area.

Sorry for digressing a little, but this one hits close to home. The battle rages on.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The top and ends of this outer decorative panel are also held in place by some screws. You will have to remove the stainless door sill mouldings to get at the top ones. At each end of the panel (at the wheel wells) there may be a screw or rivet into the body sheet metal. This may be covered with tar, or sealant, or paint. The piece should not be welded on. For more info on what is underneath this outer panel once removed check out:

http://www.larsenarchitect.com/BMW/Sections/Rockers/BMWRockerFrameset.html

IS3FIFTY

Reaction score