Rolex Reunion With Luigi

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
A difficult weekend for Luigi at the Rolex Reunion. We suffered increasing power loss all weekend that we think is a result of a failing head gasket. Post race analysis will probably wait until winter as Jim and crew have a very busy fall race schedule. Please enjoy the video anyway and subscribe or at least hit the LIKE button on YouTube. It really help my channel grow:

Still a great day at Seca!

Get your glasses out- you are going to stare at everything in that engine.

Maybe a quick compression test for a clue? Hate to pull engine apart for a linkage problem?

Thanks Don. We will be checking everything over carefully. We have had the throttle linkage slip in times past so that will be one thing we look at closely.

The reason for suspecting the head gasket is that Matt was adding water all weekend, but there was nothing collecting in the catch tank. Never a good sign.

I was there watching you race live... cool to see the driver's point of view and compare it to my memories from turn 10.

Question: are the cars you raced against the same class of vehicles that the Luigi CSL raced in competition during the '70s?
[Said another way.. some of those other cars seemed to be from different race classes...]

I was there watching you race live... cool to see the driver's point of view and compare it to my memories from turn 10.

Question: are the cars you raced against the same class of vehicles that the Luigi CSL raced in competition during the '70s?
[Said another way.. some of those other cars seemed to be from different race classes...]
The only cars from that group that my CSL raced against were the RSR Prosches, and those only rarely. Luigi's biggest competition was from the Broadspeed Jaguars which had a tendency to blow up regularly.

Luigi was a Group 2 car which is why it has the funky wheel arch flairs and runs 2 valve M30 engine. At the time the FIA wanted the cars to look like their street couneterparts.

When the sanctioning body puts groups together for these events they try to group cars that they feel will appeal to the people coming to watch.

Thank you for the FIA education.

I had a hunch most of these cars came from different race groups; I didn't consider the "advertising / crowd appeal" planning effort, but it makes sense for the event.

My son Leo was bummed when I told him you had a potential engine problem.

He asked "Dad, I didn't damage anything when I sat in the car, did I?"

I replied, "No Leo. Race cars push technology to the limits; mechanical parts break and have to be repaired."

He asked, "Do you think he can get it fixed by next year?"

I replied, "I hope so son. I'd like to see that car on the track again."

Back