rolling fenders, long term tire storage

Laldog

Site Donor
Reaction score
I purchased a nice set of 3 piece BBS rims (16" 225 x 55) a few years ago at a pretty good price ( thanks Todd B.!) but have been unable to get the car on the road this year.

I plan to keep the original rims on the car while it goes in the garage for the winter, and keep the good rims in the basement away from the weather and prying eyes.

Is there a proper method of storing rims and tires for a year or so? What is the best way to protect the rims (from corrosion, pitting, etc) and prolong the life of the tire (rubber)??

Also, before I put on the new fenders, I'm assuming the fender lips need to be "rolled". Does anyone have pics of the process or what the end result looks like??

Thanks in advance.

I don't know if this is true or not, but for desirable wheels, I've heard that the proper method for both storage and safe-keeping is to mount them on an e9 in Providence.

In reagrd to tyre storage etc.
If you want to keep the wheels on the car then the best thing to do is to jack the car up otherwise you can end up with flat spots.

If the wheels are off the car keep them somewhere cool and dry and do not stack them.

Malc

I'm trying to retrieve this from some long dormant brain cells: store tires in plastic bags (to minimize their exposure to ozone) with a bunch of those desiccant bags (to absorb moisture). I think I've got that correct. It was in my brain right next to the brain cells that remembered, entirely too late, don't drink the bong water.

Winter storage thoughts

Make sure the tires are inflated. Clean the wheels and coat them with spray wax. If you are storing them inside, there is not much worry about ozone damage unless you have them in a room with a large electric motor. I have several sets stored stacked for lengthy periods of time in my basement.

Back