Rubber/metal fasteners for fender grills

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
One of my fender grills is missing two plastic studs and therefore slightly loose on the fender.

With trepidation I attempted removal. Rather than prying the rubber covered lock nuts off I rotated then counter clockwise with moderate pulling force. Much to my surprise these notorious fasteners unscrewed themselves from the remaining two posts.

I don’t know if this is normal or anomalous luck. But for those of you attempting removal, try pulling and turning counter clockwise. Looking inside the rubber coated metal fastener, I think I see a typical push-on locking spring washer, but there must be just enough asymmetry to allow it to act a little like a nut.

The 2 missing studs were broken off flush with the back of the grill so no brass tube fix. I drilled and threaded them through with an M3x0.5 tap. I will fasten with a couple of M3 machine screws (Stainless) with the heads painted semi-gloss black. I do not think I could have successfully drilled only part way thru and glued in new plastic pegs - not enough depth and the plastic material itself didn’t see very stiff/crisp

John