Running temperature

pmansson

Reaction score
A while ago my temp gauge slipped down to "4 o´clock" from its original horizontal "3 o´clock" reading for a warmed up engine. I changed the "giver" with no results. I then changed the thermostat from one 80 degree to another 80 degree unit, and still no changes to the instrument gauge. In fact it slipped ever further down. Tomorrow I´m passing by a garage that has a digital reader just to check what temperature the engine coolant actually has.
It must be an instrument gauge issue, in which case I´m inclined to leave the problem for now. The instruments were out for cleaning, lubrication, new lamps etc a year ago, with the main result being clean glass on the inside which has made a tremendous difference to the overall appearance!
Any other ideas on the drop in instrument reading??

mine have all sat at the 4 o'clock position when fully warmed up. Perhaps your gauage is now reading 'right'? I am in London however.

Regards,

Rohan

There exist a sitiuation where a car runs too cool, as never reaching normal operating temperature, not a good thing for the engine over the long term. I would go back and reinstall the higher temp. Thermostat. You may want to check out your temp. Gauge for inaccurate readings, the lower and higher temp. Thermostats should reflect differently om your gauge.

Albert
72 3.5 CSi
88 M6

hi,
in heavy traffic mine goes up to two o`clock.
is that normal?

in other cases it stays at three o`clock.

Do remember that the temperature gauge is just a relative indicator of the coolant temperature. THe sensor would have to be calibrated and it's output in terms of resistance logged.
Then it would be possible to work out your own gauge position relative to the coolant temperature by dialing in the relative resistance and seeing the gauge response.

Sorry I'll get my anorak now :oops: trouble is part of my job is calibrating and working out how to calibrate new equipment :roll:
Malc

The digital temp gauge reads between 70-83 degrees C depending on where you measure it. The instrument gauge is now back to 3.30 (O´clock) vs 4.30 a few days ago with no further changes being done.
I´ll stop worrying about this issue for the time being.

Back