Rust repair on rocker panel cover plus ??

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
I took some photos of my rocker panel cover I repaired. I covered many of the steps but was unable to photograph myself bending the part in the brake or planishing the weld flat in my pneumatic hammer, that is the problem with working alone. If I can get an excellent fit up I like to do fusion welds because I can then smooth out the weld in my CP planishing hammer which eliminates 98% of the grinding, it’s much easier on my pneumonia damaged lungs. My questions are what are the pieces for that are spot welded on to both ends on the backside (see photo #2) ? Also what color should the rocker cover be, black or the color of the car ? Thank you ~ John Buchtenkirch
!0#6.jpg

!0#7.jpg

!0#8.jpg

!0#9.jpg

!0#10.jpg

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Nice work!
I don't know what that bracket in picture #2 is for.
When new, the rocker covers were all black over the textured undercoat visible under your old paint. The black wasn't shiny, more of a semi-gloss.

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments & information guys but my little patch job only pales in comparison to Steve Hogue making those 2 complete aluminum hood skins. Well at least now someone else knows how to make the flange detail around the jack points.

I’m thinking those pieces spot welded to the inside of the ends of the rocker covers act as sort of stand-offs to insure the correct spacing between the rocker and rocker cover but that’s only my best guess :confused::confused: ? I’m also thinking the slots in the stand-offs had a rubber bumpers at one time to keep things from rattling but again that’s only my best guess :confused: ? ~ John Buchtenkirch

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
From the looks of image !0#12.jpg this wasn't your first sheet metal repair project.

Correct, I’ve got 40 plus years (my whole working life) in the auto body & sheet metal trades. I’m 63 now and sort of semi retired, I pick & chose my work because I don’t have the energy I once had. I nearly died from pneumonia 5 years ago and that aged me 15 or 20 years. ~ John Buchtenkirch
A res#3.jpg

A res#6.jpg

m_thompson

Reaction score
I worked in a race car/body shop when I was in high school. That experience has been very helpful on car projects and with my day job. My employeer makes cabinets and computer chassis from steel and aluminum. We have enough equipment at work so that I could make a coupe body from sheet stock. Unfortunately they don't allow any "government" jobs on the floor. It sure would be nice to use the laser or water jet to cut parts.