S38 Engine

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello All,

A few years ago I bought a BMW 745i while I was posted with the U. S. Embassy in South Africa. In US form the 745i's were turbo charged, but in South African form they came with the same S38 engine that came in the M5's stateside. This particular car was a real gem; it had only 89,000 Km (roughly 50,000 miles); full leather; all the options including a BBS airdam and BBS 16in basketweave wheels; plus it was owned by the proverbial little old lady who rarely drove it.

I was unable to sell the car (probably due to skyrocketing fuel prices) when I left South Africa a year ago and it has been languishing in my mother-in-law's driveway since then. Now it's time to make a move with the car or risk falling out of my mother-in-law's good graces.

I know the body is not worth a lot but I would like to get the car or engine shipped to the States to either save the engine for a future install or to sell it Does anyone have experience getting their car or large item shipped from overseas? Is anyone interested in this car/engine?

Your experience/intrest is appreciated.

Thanks,

Walter

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Depending on the year, you could actually import the car lock, stock, and barrel and the government can't do a bloody thing about it. If a car is more than 25 years old, the government doesn't care one whit about it.

Alternatively, a friend of my father imported a Triumph motorcycle back to the states that he purchased in England; he removed the wheels and shipped them seperately, hence the bike was a kit bike, rather than a full unit. He was allowed to leave the bike 100% stock since it was a "kit bike". The same thing can apply to cars, or so I have been told. As far as I know, the only car the government really has a grudge against importing is the R32, R33 and especially R34 Nissan Skyline, due to the history of Motorex taking people's money and not actually converting the car.

If you play your cards right, I have absolutely no doubt you could bring it over, even in the most light state of dissassembly, with no legal issues.

As for the car itself, how much would you be looking to get for it? I personally think the car is too cool to gut, but I suppose that partially depends on the current state.

In terms of the actual shipping, it will have to go by boat. I would check with a large-item hauler, like these guys:
http://www.shipmyvehicle.com/default.aspx

gpetrus

Reaction score
FROMM AMERICA. The Main Page · Shipping by Ocean Freight · Shipping by Ocean Freight · Information on How We Ship Cars ...
www.frommamerica.com/ - 4k - Cached - Similar pages

The owner Mark can also do the import/export documents to clear the car thru customs. I've worked with him before, he's a good guy.