S38B35 and Getrag 280 on BaT

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score

S38.jpg

Not mine, no interest, no knowledge of it or the owner. I'm not a bidder.

It is relatively near me, however, if anyone needs some specific info or pics the owner can't provide.

i would ask for a leakdown test on any S motor of that era before buying. i just checked the auction and i see our friend Gary (M5bb) has already recommended the same thing. he knows a lot about these engines and his runs amazing

i was happy with my m90 until i saw this.... haha

the lack of documentation is a bummer.

Can a G265 mate to a S38?

Man, this is only 30 min away from me, but I can see this going to $10k; no thanks. I have a B35 that I pulled from a running 535i with only 90k on it.

S38: 255hp ~$10k+
B35: 208hp = $300

$10k+ diff...meh.

Last edited:

Man, this is only 30 min away from me, but I can see this going to $10k; no thanks. I have a B35 that I pulled from a running 535i with only 90k on it.

$10k+ diff...meh.
Yeah, but..... 10k divided by 6 throttle bodies sounds less expensive!!! And the "M" is free!

$10k+ diff...meh.
Yes, the 265 is the alternate trans for this engine. The 280 they came with are excellent until they need repair and then there is no one that can work on them anymore.
A guy named Blanton used to rebuild but then parts and labor just took over.
Gary
Yes, I am an S38 expert said no one.
I've built a few and mine in my 88 M5 is one of the most powerful engines anywhere in this country. 361 HP. Wheeeeeee.

i was happy with my m90 until i saw this.... haha

the lack of documentation is a bummer.
the m90 goes in with little to no pain. the s38 is a slightly different story. if you are paying somebody to do it, its just a cost. if you are doing it yourself, YMMV. in a coupe, to put an upgraded s38 in it ... you better do some chassis strengthening to handle the significantly upgraded HP

the m90 goes in with little to no pain. the s38 is a slightly different story. if you are paying somebody to do it, its just a cost. if you are doing it yourself, YMMV. in a coupe, to put an upgraded s38 in it ... you better do some chassis strengthening to handle the significantly upgraded HP
i'm only 1/8 considering the s8 :p. The M90 is just enough hp for me :)

Anyone considering this motor should PM @gdub0717. He had an e34 M5 with rust issues that he was willing to let go at a very fair price. Likely less than this drivetrain will sell for.

Personally I would try to run the G280. The ratios are super cool. Closer than a dogleg 265 but with any overdrive. Many folks on here have M5’s so perhaps they can speak to it.

I resent that statement.
My much modded M30 motor will probably make as much HP as a stock S38 . 255 HP
And the power to weight ratio is way up there. Ye hah!
Going on the Dyno soon. Was scheduled for this past Monday but tuner had a race team to attend to at a track.
Will be in the next few weeks.

I resent that statement.
My much modded M30 motor will probably make as much HP as a stock S38 . 255 HP
And the power to weight ratio is way up there. Ye hah!
Going on the Dyno soon. Was scheduled for this past Monday but tuner had a race team to attend to at a track.
Will be in the next few weeks.

I tend to disagree also. If we had folks chiming in with issues due to chassis flex I may feel different. A 300HP car is no different than a 100hp car if you are driving civilized. Sure the chassis may flex if you hammer it once and a while, but how often are e9 owners doing that? Even spirited driving isn’t going to put undue strain on the chassis.

Back