Saga of the Fake TiSA #995193

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm writing this post to create a digital record of this episode and to enlist the help of this community to prevent any further chance of it happening again. In 1965 BMW built 200 homologation specials based on the 1800Ti. The TiSA, as they were called, had a 5 speed gearbox, special head and cam, dual weber carbs, special suspensions, and very cool Restall bucket seats.

This story began about a week ago when my friend sent me a link to an ad on RaceCarsDirect for a 1800 TiSA race car being offered for sale by Silverstone auctions in England.

https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/sa073-lot-406-1965-fia-bmw-1800-ti/sa?el=15811&pn=1&pp=50

"An original 1800 Ti/SA that was fully rebuilt as part of Dieter Quester/Scuderia Bavaria's successful entry into the 1991/92 FIA Historic Touring Car Championship. Raced by our vendor for the last 17 years with even more success."read the ad in glowing words. Included was a prominent picture of the VIN plate:

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 8.33.05 AM.png

Imagine my shock at seeing a car with the same VIN as the TiSA I have owned for 10 years!! And a car had such notable names associated with it, and such 'provence.'

I immediately contacted the auction house and informed them that the car they were offering was a fake and that I had owned the original for 10 years. I sent along photos of my VIN plate, engine block stamping, radiator surround stamping, and Certificate from BMW and promised to put this information on every BMW forum I could find so that anyone interested in his car would readily find it with a Google search if they did not take immediate action:

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 9.06.48 AM.png

image002.jpg

image004.jpg

TiSA193 CertificateofAuthenticity.jpg

I received a reply from the gentlemen at the auction house handling the sale for the owner. In it he claimed that the owner had no idea and was in shock and needed time to assess his position and next steps. He also asked me not to post anything on any forums until they could figure out what they were going to do.

Several days passed and the auction was drawing closer and I still hadn't heard anything.

Well, finally yesterday I received an email stating that they were going to withdraw the car from the sale! Needless to say I was quite relieved.

The fake car is not without value. It has interesting history and some big names associated with it, but it is not an original TiSA.

Now I am asking this community to keep their eyes out for this car re-appearing someplace else still claiming to be my car. If you see it advertised I would appreciate a pm so I can again assert the integrity of my car.

An amazing story/warning. I assumed there was fakery from the start when I read your post. And then the VIN plate looked too "clean" to be attached to a car with this racing history. Or just too new for a car that age. Your photo of your VIN is what I expected. Good work!

Steve

Steve, Did the fake truly have the Quester history and is it a plain 1800Ti? How does one prove provenance without a correct VIN. Glad you caught this.

@CSteve & HBChris- I have known of the 4 race cars that Scuderia Bavaria built back in the 1990's and watched them race at Goodwood and other European vintage races. My information says that maybe one of the cars was a genuine TiSA, and its VIN was #108. The other 3 cars were certainly plain 1800's built to TiSA spec for racing. This car was one of those 3 and is well documented.

I think what got the forger in trouble was he picked a VIN to use that he thought was long ago wrecked and destroyed. What most folks over there don't realize is that 54 TiSA's were brought over here. So just because the forger hadn't seen any cars with that VIN doesn't mean they don't exist anymore, it could have been one of the 54 that came over here- like my car did. If you look at the certificate I got from BMW you will see that it was sold the Hoffman. My car was and always has been in this country since new. In fact, it has spent its entire life here in the Northwest.

Interesting story. Sorting these situations out in the Lancia Fulvia world (for Fanalones) is compounded by the absence of factory records. The story telling gets very visceral transcending into the lives of the drivers and mechanics beyond the palmarès of the car...

I'm writing this post to create a digital record of this episode and to enlist the help of this community to prevent any further chance of it happening again.

Interesting as I had inquired with the auction house about this specific car as a potential vintage racer for use here in New England. The auction house price estimate seems quite reasonable (low actually).

Surprised a car like this could have gone they so many competent shops without someone knowing it was at best a bitsa and at worst a fake.

Solution: race your real one often in Europe so it becomes more well known.

Couldn’t BMW Classic offer some assistance with authenticating these rare models ornisnthere just too much of a liability mess?

John

Last edited:
Back