Sand/bead blasting wheels

Honolulu

Reaction score
A report. I've never seen anyone post experience with sandblasting, so I though I'd relate my experience

I went to pick up my kid one evening at "Clay Club" where the kids in the ceramics class get to play with clay after normal school hours. The glass workshop is right next door and does a similar after hours thing. I spotted a sandblast cabinet and the glass/ceramics guy says yeah I can use it.

So I brought out my #2 set of wheels, the spoke type from later coupes, and went to it, really not knowing what I was doing or how it might come out. The wheels were lightly grungy, more than I'd paint over, more than I'd want to chase with my fingertips and some Scotchbrite.

I was set up with 40 psi and olivine sand, which is orange rather than the greenish I expected. Lo and behold, it worked like a champ. Each slow pass with the nozzle about 2 inches from the wheel, produced that fine "cast" look. I could see the old coating getting blown away. The cabinet used 120 volts and ran fairly quietly. Took me about maybe 15 minutes per wheel, I didn't time it.

My only previous experience with anything remotely similar was with my uncle blasting his boat trailer prior to hot dip galvanizing. Two of us shoveled 3 tons of sand into the hopper that day, while the contractor's trailer mounted compressor worked overtime. At the end of the day, all three of us were beat, but the trailer was free of rust and ready for the dip.

Anyway, now have four nicely cleaned wheels - I only did the externally visible surfaces. Time to dig out that can of Krylon, and roust up some clear to follow.

After painting the #2 set and transferring the tires, I'll take in the five coupe wheels. Thinking of a two-pack urethane followed by urethane clear coat when that comes along.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Tip on painting Coupe wheels

Remember "lazy susans"--find one and you will discover its diameter is a near perfect platform for painting 14" coupe wheels--and by slowly rotating same you will get very uniform paint coverage on the many surfaces of your freshly blasted raw metal wheels.

Philip Slate

Reaction score
If you can't find a lazy susan and just happen to have some used coupe parts lying around, an upper strut mount placed on a water pump will work as a not so lazy susan.

Honolulu

Reaction score
yeah, susan, that lazy girly

I 'spect I'll hooch one from the kitchen. Don't tell the wifey.

Course, with a rattle can mentality any sort of kluge becomes possible. I could hang each wheel from a single string tied to a upstairs joist, and spin in 3D.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Painting wheels

Thought this thread was about painting your wheels--and you change the subject to "spinners"--I'm wondering if the word police will cut the thread as being too risque'.

I won't tell wifey about either her "lazy susan or spinners mentioned"--your secrets are safe with the blumax.
(;>)}