Saw this '73 on Ebay:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Blue Coupe

Fully restored? Those front fender seams would bother me, the rear bumper is too tight to the body for a `73 (it has been bumped), rear seats and headliner not restored. It will interesting to see what this one fetches. It also has a "feature" a have never seen before, seams between the front fenders and the nose panel on top of the nose. Hmmmm.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good eye on the seams. I think the bumpers were pulled close to give the car a '72 and earlier look, at least that is what I have on my car for that same reason. The car doesn't look lowered to me in fact with those wheels/tires the car looks like it is riding a bit high.

acat2002

Reaction score
OCCoupe said:
..... I think the bumpers were pulled close to give the car a '72 and earlier look,......

I did the same on my '73. Much better look OMO. No harm done for the purists becasue I saved the NLA (one year only) front brackets. Also switched to pre-73 rubber bumper over-riders. It's a fairly common mod in the E9 world and gernerally acceptable.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bumper & Guards

The rear bumper is closer to the panel in the center, indicating it was hit. If it was lowered 2 inches those must be 40 series tires! When front guard rubber needs to be replaced only the earlier and more common style was available, hence few `73 front bumper guards (the metal part is the same). I wanted to keep my `73 original and I found the one that I was missing. That car has had the nose panel replaced based on the seams, and also no front side markers but still has rear side markers so fenders may have been relaced as well.

acat2002

Reaction score
Why are chrome wheels all the rage in CA? (especially SoCal)

All this car needs is a disco ball hanging from the mirror and maybe a some crazy gaming console and stereo stuffed in the trunk to qualify for an episide of "livin' the low life" on SpeedChannel.

SteveM

Reaction score
And if that car "has 2 inch lowered sports springs" then it must have started life on stilts. Good call on the seams.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think a lot of sellers are careless when it comes to using the phrase "restored" or "fully restored". I think we've all seen all sorts of cars offered for sale as restored when all they've had was a lousy paint job and an engine detail.