School me on LWB E3's

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I was just reading a post by the new member @kkro , and his/her two LWB e3's. I am familiar with the LWB 3.3 LI's. They are lovely, and I would kill to own one - with HL wipers of course! What I don't have bacground on is where the LWD fits in. I presume that this translates to more legroom for the rear passengers being shuttled around by Alfred, Geoffy, Jeeves, etc. So what body parts are unique to the LWB model? Just the rear doors?

Apologies in advance. I didn't search. I'm not good with computers...

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The added length is in the rear doors, just like the Jag XJ6L and MB 280SEL.

And it was available as a 2800 and 3.0 as well, plus RHD 3.0 and 3.3.

kkro

Reaction score
The only different body parts are the ones that are in the area behind the b-pillars, including the rear doors of course. Everything is extended 10cm to make more legroom for the rear seats.

The doors are interesting with the fact that the inside steel panel is actually factory built by cutting a ordinary short panel in two and spot welding an extension section into the middle of the panel.

Of course all mechanical parts are longer as well, like propeller shaft, exhaust etc.

The long cars are quite rare these days, so I think I was quite lucky to find two of them in two months.

In the 1977 sales brochure the 3,3Li is presented as a sporty top executive car, while the 2,8L and the 3,0L cars are presented as family cars with extra interior space.

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The only different body parts are the ones that are in the area behind the b-pillars, including the rear doors of course. Everything is extended 10cm to make more legroom for the rear seats.

The doors are actually interesting with the fact that the inside steel panel is actually factory built by cutting a ordinary short panel on two and spot welding an extension section into the middle of three panel.

Of course all mechanical parts are longer as well, like propeller shaft, exhaust etc.

The long cars are quite rare these days, so I think I was quite lucky to find two of them in two months.

In the 1977 sales brochure the 3,3Li is presented as a sporty top executive car, while the 2,8L and the 3,0L cars are presented as family cars with extra interior space.

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Value added knowledge sharing out of the gates! Thanks for sharing @kkro!

roundel

Reaction score
Often forgotten is the fact that BMW produced a 3.3L, This car had a special engine with a longer stroke crankshaft (88.5mm if I recall....) making it close to 3.5 litres and very torquey.....very few left now I suspect....Alex