seat tilt and lock mechanism

steve in reno

Reaction score
I had my seats reupholstered and after installation found that the tilt up and locking mechanism was not re-installed properly.

Would any good upholstery shop know how to repair this.

I am 500 miles from the shop and am willing to try repair.

Does anyone in coupe-land have any experience or assembly info.

Interior is nearly complete, except for seats. Or at least for this years project.

HELP!!

steve in reno

I am told...

that the panel on the seat back comes off with a couple screws then (if original) it was also glued to the seat back. May be that your upholsterer did not glue the panel back, only used the screws - this would make things easier, then you could remove those screws and get the back panel off.

The seat release mechanism is a simple one. Probably the upholsterer was careless about putting it all back together, and didn't get it right, for shame.

While you're in there you can see to it that your headrests go up and down. The two vertical "spikes" frequently are rusted/stuck in the metal tubes. Penetrating oil and impact vibration from a small hammer. Don't deform the vertical tubes. Free up the clip that clinches the notches in the vertical headrest spikes too.

IIRC, Art's website has an illustrated procedure

for removing the seat backs. Try a look there.

Again, IIRC (and I need to do this on my driver's seat also) the screws are down low on the seat back. Tilt it full forward to look for them.

Back