Secondary ground strap

Laldog

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've been having intermittent starting problems for quite a few years now, and was basically attributing it to the parasitic battery drain problem I've been hunting down.

A previous post (thank you) mentioned the ground strap between the engine block and the coil/fender area as relating to the car's starting ability.

Easy and cheap enough to replace and I think it was the solution.

Autopsy did not present definitive evidence, but I think there was enough corrosion to justify the $11 spent on a new ground strap.

Attachments

• IMG_9044.jpg
    IMG_9044.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_9043.jpg
    IMG_9043.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_9046.jpg
    IMG_9046.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 97
Laldog - I have several extra ground straps on my car. I have a ground strap from the alternator body to the oil filter housing, and another strap from that same bolt on the oil filter housing to the fender attachment point for the battery ground. Coil fender area is no different that using the battery fender ground area.

Also, make sure that you have the ground to the firewall at the back of the engine/front of the transmission.

And my car had corrosion inside the cable from the battery to the starter. Consider replacing that cable.

Lastly, the parasitic battery drain is a separate problem.

I've been having intermittent starting problems for quite a few years now, and was basically attributing it to the parasitic battery drain problem I've been hunting down.

A previous post (thank you) mentioned the ground strap between the engine block and the coil/fender area as relating to the car's starting ability.

Easy and cheap enough to replace and I think it was the solution.

Autopsy did not present definitive evidence, but I think there was enough corrosion to justify the $11 spent on a new ground strap.
Someone added that one, do you have the one from bell housing to firewall?

Back