seeking advice on 71 Spider

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I guess asking for advice on a 71 Alfa Spider is still within topic as the car is contemporary to the E9...

I am intrigued by the Spider and toying with the idea of learning by getting one. All I know is that rust is also first priority, that they have a controversial mechanical injection system, and that they came with 5 speeds right from the beginning.

As the most trusted site on the internet I look forward to your views. I can also share with you the blame in front of you know who if things go bad...

I was also toying with the idea of a Spider and after much research and advice gathered that a '74 Kamm-tail was the most desirable. Haven't seriously searched for one yet, but www.alfabb.com was a great resource. Good luck!

Alfa resource

Roselli Foreign Car on the corner of Lincoln and Auzerais in downtown S.J. is a good place to start if they're still in business. Ezio kept our Fiats and Lancias going for a number of years, and Ferraris and various exotics were not an uncommon sight there. He owned a beautiful example of an early Giulia Spyder he had restored himself.

Actually the early boat-tails have more potential to appreciate if that's a factor, but are pretty rare, only made through '68 or '69. Close call, but I prefer the look of the Kamm tail, also.

Great cars.................very different in character from the E9. Beware of bodged SPICA FI. The much maligned systems are actually pretty good if properly maintained, but most are not. Compared to E9s parts are downright plentiful, and the cars are such a joy to drive.

Alfa jones

I re-watched "The Graduate" a couple of weeks ago. Lots of good footage of Dustin Hoffman's Spider. Makes you want one; great sounds, and strong fun factor.

Alfa Spider

I had a 69 Injected boat-tail that was a fun ride. The injection pump did go south on me and because of the high cost of repair, I replaced the system with dual webers. I'll never forget the sweet noise coming from the engine bay. Performance stayed pretty much the same, but was a little thirstier. It might have benefitted from refitted jets.

I'd rate the Alfa DOHC engine one of the best made, but it's still a 4 banger.

TJ you have mail regarding Alfa

TJ, not sure if you check the cowpoke mailbox. My Alfa prospect is there in your mailbox for your review and advise. Also copied Scott for his angles.

Back