Semi-temporary front seat replacement?

Percy

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with fitting 911 Porsche Seats or E21 Recaros in an E9? What was involved in the fitment and was the final result worthwhile?

I had my front seats reupholstered with disappointing results. Now, the drivers seat reclines poorly and the passenger seatback feels unstable and is noticeably cockeyed. They both look great ;) I plan to return the seats but given the prolonged downtime, need something to fill the void other than lawn furniture. Given the results thus far, I may be looking for more permanent seat alternatives.

The friend (who talked me in to this) offered me two 911 Recaro's that he also had in his E21 (320). These are the leather throne (integral headrest) seats. Using these seats raises two questions. First, the seats look small, although having sat in them they seem comfortable enough. The second more important concern is fitment in the E9.

A very rough measurement indicates the stock E9 mounting points are 19" wide while the Recaros are close to 15" in width - with the adapter plates installed. As an added incentive, my friend has two seat adjusters from an E24 or E12 that raise and tilt each seat. He thinks they need to be welded to the frame or the seat tracks, but I am unclear how or why. Either way, these seat adjusters are about 17.75" wide so flat stock will probably still need to be used to get these seats to fit. I hasten to add that on my E9, the forward attaching point is horizontal while the rear attachment point is vertical - making an adapter slightly more complicated.

Again, does anyone have any experience with fitting 911 Porsche Seats or E21 Recaros? What was involved in the fitment and was the final result worthwhile?

Many thanks in advance

nimble_n_quick

Reaction score
I recently fabricated plates to adapt 320 seats into my coupe. The seats test-fit great (they are now out for reupholstering), and are very comfortable.

I used 1/8" thick, 3" wide bar stock, drilled holes, and bolted it all up using the stock e9 sliders. Stainless steel metric hardware finishes off the installation, and the new adapters cover the area previously covered by the always-broken seat side trim pieces (which I removed).

I can send a dimensioned drawing, if you need further help.

Percy

Reaction score
nimble_n_quick said:
I recently fabricated plates to adapt 320 seats into my coupe. The seats test-fit great (they are now out for reupholstering), and are very comfortable. I used 1/8" thick, 3" wide bar stock, drilled holes, and bolted it all up using the stock e9 sliders. Stainless steel metric hardware finishes off the installation, and the new adapters cover the area previously covered by the always-broken seat side trim pieces (which I removed).

Thank you for the response.

I considered your method but wondered about the possibility that the weight of passenger and seat might cause the suspended adapter plates to sag or cause the mounts to be overstressed. I was planning to gusset the underside of each adapter or or add a pier for added support. If this is a non-issue, I am glad to hear it. If you could post the dimensions that might be helpful. And, if I were to go your route, where did you source the stock?

Did you space the adapter plates evenly or off-center to actually center the driver seat behind the steering wheel?

To be sure I understand you correctly, you are using two pieces of flat stock, paralleling the sliders. By using the the sliders off of the original seats, all 4 fasteners are screwed/bolted vertically. (I recall someone advocating the use of width-wise adapters on another car and it seemed less-than optimal (unless the entire adapter was framed)).

Another thought. Don't the seats look too small, compared with the originals? Are yours Recaros or stock 320, tufted vinyl. Since my last post, I have been offered seats (electric) out of a Mercedes and Audi, but I am more apt to go with the (comparatively lighter and less complicated) manual Porsche thrones.

Thank you.

de coupe

Reaction score
Recaro seat placement

I have tryed to fit an 320is seat in the coupe very hard as the slide mechanics on the seat is welded to the frame of the seat itself and you would have to cut up the coupe to do the proper fitment. I do have an easyer solution for you I did have a pair of reworkable recaros I believe they were RS or LS I did need to clean the garage out so I did bring them down to Carl at La Jolla Indep He wasnt there when I did drop them off "historics weekend" If you can get them from him you can have them They make a bracket to use the recaros in the coupe.. I do hope that I can help you. I do know how diffacult it is to rebuild one of these cars. Hate to see some one try to make a buck on what is not theirs Not that anyone would do that here...

Percy

Reaction score
Re: Recaro seat placement

de coupe said:
I do have an easier solution for you I did have a pair of reworkable recaros I believe they were RS or LS I did need to clean the garage out so I did bring them down to Carl at La Jolla Indep He wasnt there when I did drop them off "historics weekend" If you can get them from him you can have them They make a bracket to use the recaros in the coupe.. I do hope that I can help you. I do know how difficult it is to rebuild one of these cars. Hate to see some one try to make a buck on what is not theirs Not that anyone would do that here...

Many thanks for the offer. I contacted a friend in SD and asked her to check on things for me, but the more I thought about it, I felt uncomfortable and awkward asking for seats that LJI probably had/s every right to sell. If you still had them in your possession, the situation might be different. Besides, I am a substantial distance from SD. Again, thank you for the extremely nice gesture!

I have since created my own adapter plates and am able to use the P seats. The overhang/gap between the seat supports and the body connection points are not substantial enough to warrant ribbing or gusseting for extra support. Despite the comfort and lightness (they weigh less than the stock) of the replacement seats, the seats are too high and tall for my taste - even stripped of their adjusting tracks. It is only a question of time before my head hits the recently installed headliner! While the seat height improves the view, the tall headrest makes backing up - awkward, uncomfortable and all too easy to rely exclusively on the mirrors. I do a lot of backing up - especially when parking and would not enjoy the prospect of rear body work. . .

Unless the upholstery shop loses my original seats which they are supposedly fine tuning, I will most likely go back to using them.