Shift knob options for 5speed conversion

FjordTempo

Reaction score
Im midway through my 5speed conversion and left the most vain part for last: the shift knob. I'm a sucker for original, so I'd love to have a wood shift knob, but know the shifter require push-on knob. Does anyone know if it's possible to modify a screw on wood knob? Or, does anyone make a push-on wood mushroom knob that looks like the original 4-speed knob?

Thanks for any tips.

Matt

kurtd

Site Donor
Reaction score
I upgraded the shift linkage using UUC part when I did my 5 speed and it had the later rod that is designed for the snap on shift knobs. I ordered a snap on Mahogany aftermarket shift knob from Bav Auto that was nice but I wanted to go back to the stock leather. I was able to get a threaded stock leather knob to fit by applying some friction tape to the shift rod and pressure fitting. So far it's stayed put.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
My 5 speed has the screw on knob, thought they were all that way.

The screw on knobs lasted up to 9/81, then came along the snap on type. Believe all the Getrag 265's with cable driven speedometer have the screw on shift knobs.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
my car has a snap on knob. many times if you get a short shifter kit, you will change to the snap on knob

FjordTempo

Reaction score
modifying push on shift for screw on shift knob

Thanks for your replies everyone. I ended up with a M Z3 shifter, which is great for the shifting. Now I just need to modify a screw on knob to the push on shifter, which I'm sure can be done. Has anyone heard of a modification or way to thread the shifter?

thank you
Matt

FjordTempo

Reaction score
thank you

I upgraded the shift linkage using UUC part when I did my 5 speed and it had the later rod that is designed for the snap on shift knobs. I ordered a snap on Mahogany aftermarket shift knob from Bav Auto that was nice but I wanted to go back to the stock leather. I was able to get a threaded stock leather knob to fit by applying some friction tape to the shift rod and pressure fitting. So far it's stayed put.

thank you. this is a great option!

Matthew

oldcoupe

Reaction score
Threaded shifter

If the shifter you have is a two part eg

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E...pril/browse/gearshift/gearbox_shifting_parts/

then you can replace the top half which takes the press on with a threaded one -the two halves separate one you've levered out a snap ring. I did this on my E28 (po had mutilated the stick to fit something tasteless in faux carbon fibre) using the upper from a Bav 4 speed so I could use a, to my eye, more tasteful leather gearknob for a 2002 from Jaymic at a very reasonable price.

http://www.jaymic.co.uk/shop/parts_02_products.asp?grp=02GB&page=2