Shift surround removal

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Are there any other screws to remove besides the 2 below the window switches, or other black art techniques needed to remove the shift surround? I need to restitch the leather for the stick shift.

RMP

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Shift around removal, two more really small screws

PM sent

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for this, I am posting it here for the record. I would have not found those little bastards in back. A magnetic pick up tool is also helpful to pull them out of the crevices. I think some ticky tack or something to hold the screws on the screw driver for install will be called for.

The left and right side counsel pieces also had a very small bracket and equally small screw to be removed. These are at the very front on the counsel on each side and only accessible through the unzipped shifter boot. Then the shift around is loose, pus the two screws you mention.

A flashlight and fingers found these bracket and screw heads.

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Could you send photos of the location of screws once it is apart and also the brackets please? Mine is on the "to do " list.
Thanks
C

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Rear screws location (small hole shown) below the screw that holds the side piece (back part of the console and nearest the seats - one on each side), this is the one that is hard to see and will be a beotch to get back on:
IMG_1064.JPG

The other screws location midway in the console, these are easily accessible through the window switch holes:

IMG_1065.JPG

No wonder BMW went broke making these cars, there are 25 staples and 10 tacks holding just the leather shift boot on. The speed screw at the bottom right holds the metal trim pieces on, I very lightly wet sanded them with 2500 grit foam to shine them up a little.

IMG_1062.JPG

Currently the leather shop is sewing the zipper back onto the boot using the existng holes, the thread had given way and was causing the two to separate. I will also take the opportunity to soak the underside of the boot in leatherique so it is nicely conditioned and supple before install and back to taking all that heat from below.

Could you send photos of the location of screws once it is apart and also the brackets please? Mine is on the "to do " list.
Thanks
C

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Rear screws location (small hole shown) below the screw that holds the side piece (back part of the console and nearest the seats - one on each side), this is the one that is hard to see and will be a beotch to get back on:
IMG_1064.JPG

I have mine apart right now chasing some electrical gremlins, and I am seriously considering changing the way this particular screw is attached. My thought is to widen the hole in the metal bracket and install a clip on nut, then punch a hole through the outside of the side piece and use a screw with a countersunk washer coming in from the outside just like the screw/washer combination used to hold the faceplate for the a/c controls/vents/radio into place. I haven't done this yet, but I don't seen any drawbacks. The screws would also be pretty well hidden with the seats in their normal position.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
IMHO I wouldn't punch a hole in the original vinyl. I plan on putting the screw through a small piece of tape, sticky side up, then wrapping it around the tip of the screwdriver to hold the screw in place, install, and leave the tape behind for posterity.

IMG_1064.JPG

I have mine apart right now chasing some electrical gremlins, and I am seriously considering changing the way this particular screw is attached. My thought is to widen the hole in the metal bracket and install a clip on nut, then punch a hole through the outside of the side piece and use a screw with a countersunk washer coming in from the outside just like the screw/washer combination used to hold the faceplate for the a/c controls/vents/radio into place. I haven't done this yet, but I don't seen any drawbacks. The screws would also be pretty well hidden with the seats in their normal position.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have a set of screw holding screwdrivers - wonderful for these situations.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ok I just put it back in and these screws have nothing to do with holding the piece in! Like Chris, apparently mine was only held in by the 2 screws under the rear window switches. I guess mine was just snug from years of being i place. There are 2 holes on the aft side of the bracket (in the pic below it is in the piece just before the curve), maybe they do something but I don't see how to get to those so I am settling for just using the side ones again.

IMG_1064.JPG

IMHO I wouldn't punch a hole in the original vinyl. I plan on putting the screw through a small piece of tape, sticky side up, then wrapping it around the tip of the screwdriver to hold the screw in place, install, and leave the tape behind for posterity.

dascoupeguy

Reaction score
I am facing the same issue as I am reasembling the center console. I guess that rear bracket was attached to each side panel BEFORE the assembly was installed. Then it was simply slid in place and subsequently attached to the center radio/heatercontol face plates.

Thanks for the pics! DCG