Shifter modification

FjordTempo

Reaction score
On my 5 speed conversion, someone recommended the Z3-M shifter, which I have been using (on the left in the photo). The throw is perfect as is the straightness (my linkage may be different than others?), but I simply need more height on the top portion as this is too short for me. I almost hit the wiper knob while shifting. On the right is a stock shifter, which separates into two parts.

Question: can I cut or otherwise modify the Z3 shifter to accommodate the top half of the stock shifter?

Or, perhaps there's a shifter out there that would solve my problem perfectly.

Thank you for any advice.

Matt

Attachments

• shifters.jpg
    shifters.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 181
Matt,

I would think the top half would fit on the short shift on the left. The problem is you need to remove the shift lever from the tranny linkage along with big circlip holding it to the mount to remove upwards. Then you can turn it over, remove another circlip and separate the two. And replace the rubber bushing inside if it is loose.

Thank you Chris. I got the shifter out of the car, but can't figure out how to separate the two pieces on the short shifter. I had assumed it was all welded together, but the more I twist, the more I notice that there is some give. Unlike the stock shifter with accessible clip between the two pieces, the short shifter appears to be filled and sealed with rubber at the bottom. Time for a blade, I suppose!

i used the top half of stock shift lever and bottom half of a 320i lever which is a little longer below the ball. Works well and retains threads for the old school knob.

Yeah the newer shifters do not come apart like old ones. I think the rubber is injected directly between the pieces. Of course you could cut the top off, but I'm not sure the old style top would then attach to it.

Thanks for everyone's good information. With some serious effort I was able to cut off the top half off the Z3 shifter and remove all of the injected rubber (interestingly, the two halves of the shifter are not attached in any other way - just lots of strong injected rubber). Using suspect combination of drill and hacksaw, I was able to "machine" a notch into the shifter to accommodate the clip to hold the two parts together. Not sure anyone will ever need to do this, but it can be done. Thanks again for everyone's suggestions.

p.s. I now have a surplus stock shifter (lower half) if anyone needs one. Plus, I am on the look out for a top half shifter with to replace the one I pinched off my E3 to make the E9 right.

A tip for future Z3 shifter conversions: I heated up the shifter metal (the outer part) with a heat gun and pulled the two pieces apart without damaging the rubber.
After assembly of clips it was just to smear glue on and put the two pieces back together.

Back