Shipping a car

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Any suggestions on the best value way to ship a car for the west coast to PA? I'm considering purchasing a car in the Los Angeles area (a Porsche 928, so not a large vehicle).

I have quotes from Intercity Lines and Road Runner. Don't have experience with either one, Anyone here have a recommendation for someone they've had success with? I'm undecided yet about open or closed shipment.

Thanks for any help.

Gary Knox

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
I shipped a car recently with Road Runner. Open carrier. Picked the car up on schedule and stayed on one truck and dropped off on schedule. One truck straight shot is important to ascertain. Loaded/unloaded pony express style and sitting in a lot somewhere waiting for the next relay isn't what you want. It's Spring so no salt on open. Furthermore, enclosed during auction season or car week is ok. But random destination at a random time of year, the car will be moved around alot. Enclosed, how do you think a 290 pound trucker gets in and out of your car? Dukes of Hazzard comes to mind.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Have had good experiences with Intercity & they were my first choice for my prewar cars. In the past 4 years they have been less & less able to meet my schedules for auto shipping.

Plycar is actually better than Intercity in my book.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I used Reliable Transport to ship my coupe to its new steward in Chicago. Driver spent at least a half hour going over the car, pointing out(well you know), wrapped the seat and steering wheel in plastic and drove on to the carrier at about 3 miles an hour. Enclosed of course, Mine was one of two Maseratis, a Boat Tail and in Pittsburgh he was adding rare Mustang Cobra. Car arrived on-time in perfect condition. Buyer was equally impressed.

As for no salt, spring is here, Denver is getting two feet of snow.

I can't imagine shipping "open" across the country. What's that disposable income for anyway?

Steve

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had the CSL shipped enclosed from the east coast and the driver also delivered a friend's car. Very reliable and daily updates. Was very impressed.

DM me if you want his contact info.