Shipping question

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello gurus! I'm pretty knowledgeable about shipping small parcels but my question is about large items that weigh allot. I have to send out a Transmission and I'm wondering if there is a well known method for this that I am unaware of. I have access to pallets, strapping machines and a few truck accounts but mostly I move books via UPS and Fed-Ex. I'm thinking that cardboard will not hold up well with some of these heavier things- so before I call my trucking company and ask them I thought I would ask you folks.

Thanks!

Peter

I think some people have used Greyhound saying it is very inexpensive, I have not tried them so don't know the detials.

Peter,
Markos was going to ship me a windscreen via Greyhound, but I was able to source it locally. From what I understand, the sender and receiver both must go to their Greyhound shipping office, but that's why the shipping is cheaper. Not sure if they will transport something as bulky as a transmission. Seems like Markos uses Greyhound routinely so hopefully he will chime in.

I've heard of people using large igloo coolers for containers. +1 on greyhound for lowest rates.

+1 for Greyhound. I got a trans shipped to me from Florida to San Diego arrived in great condition. They sent it in one of thse black and yellow totes with a lot of padding. Long story short.. This was to replace the first one they sent in a cardboard box via UPS that got rough treatment and broke off the shift tower mounting ears.

Yes greyhound isn't bad if you are near a facility. It would be a good option for a transmission. I would build a wooden box and bolt on some handles. Greyhound can handle about 47"x80"x30". The exact specs are on the faq. For perspective, if you packed an E9 hood on an angle, you could ship it via greyhound. If you laid it flat, it is just a bit too wide.

Alan sent me a used windscreen via greyhound. It survived the trip and cost $100 from CA to WA.

When I ship the e9 roof out east, I will be building a wooden box. This box will have a palette structure on the bottom. For large items like that, you need to go with a logistics company. I was told by a local racecar builder that most logistics companies farm out their work to national companies, do it doesn't really matter who you pick. The important thing is that you pack your items very well. You want a palette base because with it or not, they will use a forklift to move your box. You don't want them punching a hole in your box.

Why this site is awesome

Thanks everyone!

A local couper received his transmission in a wooden box and has offered to allow me to ship using that. I have a reduced rate account with Fed-ex ground so I will get that process going and report on price and ship-from-to information just in case others need the info. Unfortunately I have no idea where a local Grey Hound station is around here.

Cheers!

Worth looking into, my company gets great fedex discounts, I shipped my Getrag (90lbs with crate) from Al Taylor fedex ground 2 business days for $29 bucks.

Thanks everyone!

A local couper received his transmission in a wooden box and has offered to allow me to ship using that. I have a reduced rate account with Fed-ex ground so I will get that process going and report on price and ship-from-to information just in case others need the info. Unfortunately I have no idea where a local Grey Hound station is around here.

Cheers!

Back