Side Vent attachment posts replacement

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Preparing to replace the black vinyl decal behind the side vents.

50% of the vent posts were already missing and lost a couple of more in the removal process

Looked at adhering acrylic tube or similar to extent the posts. Didn't like the option and chance for a long term solution. Tried another direction.

Replaced the posts with SST Metric bolts M4X20 fine thread, nuts, washers with locks.

Attachments

• IMG_1644.JPG
    IMG_1644.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 210

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Next step was to trim off the old posts flush. Drilled a small diameter hole where the posts were located. Undersized for eventual use of M4 tap.

Decided to drill all the way through the plastic bar. Wanted as much thread engagement as possible.

End of bolt when threaded will be approximately flush with the plastic surface. can simply paint of if anal...fill and sand first.

Attachments

• IMG_1647.JPG
    IMG_1647.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 192

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Next step was to top the holes. M4 tap worked easily. Almost too easily. some care required.

Attachments

• IMG_1652.JPG
    IMG_1652.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 206

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'll figure this posting thing eventually. Image of the tap.

Attachments

• IMG_1657.JPG
    IMG_1657.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 196

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Cut off bolts. Ground end smooth. this end is threaded into tapped hole.

Once threaded the attachment was quite solid. However to assure they would stay put I put JB Plastic Weld on the ends before threading.

Solid fit, strong and with a proper thread in SST corrosion should not be an issue. Attachment...washer, lock, and nut, simple. Removal in the future should be easy.

Attachments

• IMG_1658.JPG
    IMG_1658.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 200

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like this from the front. A little putty filler and will be clean as new.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 213

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Preparing to replace the black vinyl decal behind the side vents.

50% of the vent posts were already missing and lost a couple of more in the removal process

Looked at adhering acrylic tube or similar to extent the posts. Didn't like the option and chance for a long term solution. Tried another direction.

Replaced the posts with SST Metric bolts M4X20 fine thread, nuts, washers with locks.

I considered doing this and may still have to if I feel that mine are not going to stay. I just could not live with the bolts coming through. My grills are like new as is the rest of the car.
I also considered the 3m tape which is used on so many cars to hold logo's and stuff on the bodies. Probably a simple and excellent solution. Just have to make sure you have a number of contact points.
Great contributions by so many.

Rek

Reaction score
I used small stainless self tapping screws with a retainer on the inside of the wing. Removable and given the cost of these, I did not want them falling off.
IMG_4969 (1).jpg
IMG_4968 (1).jpg

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I like the solution from Lotus7. i'd like to be able to install and remove easily.
However, like Mb55, I would forever stare at the bare ends of the threads on the visible side.

Could it also be done by drilling an M2 hole through the entire length of the original post, and just not exit on the front side?
It would keep the outside appearance & for sure even a small M2 bolt would be strong enough as the grille is not heavy nor mechanically loaded.
It will need a little cilindrical spacer inside the wings, but that's easy.
Does the pin have enough flesh (thickness) to tap a 2 mm thread into it? What's the initial diameter of the pin? One of the pics above look like they are 5mm; 1,5 mm wall thickness is quite OK for a plastic cylinder. I will have a look this evening; I have one NOS matt side grille and one NOS two-tone (shiny+matt) hood grille , so I can play with some older parts ...

Attachments

• 20180621_175134.jpg
    20180621_175134.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 125
  • 20180621_172445.jpg
    20180621_172445.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 138
  • 20180621_174919.jpg
    20180621_174919.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 136

mr bump

Reaction score
I've taken both methods and decided to drill holes where the old posts were, and bond threaded bar into each hole and use a nut and washer on the inside.
Brilliant thread and replies chaps, thank you again to all who contributed.