SITING and DOOR TRIM

SHIMBIMMER

Reaction score
Folks,

I was driving by a body shop on Michigan at 12th street and saw a red 2800CS at the shop awaiting some work. I stopped in to talk to them about helping me address the trim that sits atop the doors of my 72 3.0csi that is sadly not as fixed as I'd like.

I ordered clips from our friends in San Diego but may not be fixing this properly. There is a rubber seal that is on my trim that is held down by the pressure (?) of the trim. the 2800 did not have this rubber and the trim was fixed directly to the metal.

Anyone have a suggestion? is this a problem area? I also saw another 2800 later that day near Abbott Kinney in Venice.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Trim below windows--

You are incorrect about the 280 Cs.

Every properly set-up E-9 has---or at one time when new--had the narrow black "U" shaped vinyl (not rubber) seal running the full length of those trim pieces. None of these cars had metal to metal fittings upon leaving the factory and if you discover such a fitting it has lost that seal along the way.

I have observed over many years that whenever missing it is almost always a result of the body shop omitting same!!

By all means it should be installed as a barrier to moisture hanging around beneath those trim pieces.

SHIMBIMMER

Reaction score
wasn't suggesting the method in which the trim was attached was correct - was commenting about the way this particular one had been braced.

All this being said - any tricks or methods one should adhere to when fastening the trim? is the best route to let a professional do this? i have a complete set of vinyl/rubber - whatever - seal that sits between the metals. it's not being held in place and the fasteners seem to not "click" when applied.

best,
M

pmansson

Reaction score
Blumax is correct as usual.
My observation is that most of these black, U-shaped, plastic parts have shrunk over the years. And not just shrunk, but often have a 45 degree "cut" as if somebody had torn off a corner. I have noted it on enough cars to convince me that it is not the odd exception.
Very strange nevertheless....

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
door trim

Shim,

The chrome plated brass window sill trim is attached to the top of the door with metal spring clips that need to be placed in the proper orientation to grip the door. These clips also hold the felt/fiber window brush, the chrome trim itself holds the rubber squeege (which is a PITA to install) that seals to the glass, there is a separate rubber seal between the forward chrome trim and the quarter window that is long ago NLA and finally there is the small rubber u-channel as Blumax describes that slips under the bottom of the chrome trim to prevent chaffing against the door itself.

Which item is causing you issues?

SHIMBIMMER

Reaction score
wow - you nailed it.

So - I bought a few of the original clips. There are now three or four placed on the door metal in the right position. The problem seems to be getting the trim to take to the clip. I think they need to be positioned EXACTLY in line with reciprocals in the actual trim. Best thing I can do is take pics?

The U (which is now in fact a 45 degree "V") seal is a PAIN in the ass and is not staying held - making it really painful.

Would it hurt to adhere the U/V seal to the actual trim? Then I can actually navigate the clips to line up well with the trim without it all falling apart.

Thanks so much guys.