Skip Hamm BMW

johnl

Reaction score
I'm trying to get an address for Skip Hamm BMW, Hanover, PA. He was in operation back in the early 1970s. Possibly if you have litature in your car or collection from that time period it might be listed.

Any assistance much appreciated,

John

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
John,

You knew I would have something, right? :)

Through May 72 in Hanover was B&W Service, 2 Beckmill Rd. They were still there in Hanover at R. D. 5 Carlisle Pike (717-637-6664) as of 1/1/76 when BMWNA was the official importer. I don't have any later service directories so Skip came along later.

Chris

johnl

Reaction score
John,

You knew I would have something, right? :)

Through May 72 in Hanover was B&W Service, 2 Beckmill Rd. They were still there in Hanover at R. D. 5 Carlisle Pike (717-637-6664) as of 1/1/76 when BMWNA was the official importer. I don't have any later service directories so Skip came along later.

Chris

Chris,

I googled the address and got a visual. After moving around a bit I did veryify that this is the location the Bav had it's first service. I've based this from photos I have recently aquired with the car in them. I'll attach them to this post for your review along with a photo taken of the same car some 42 years later.

The sign pole out in the parking lot I beleive to be the same except the BMW Roundel is no longer on top. Regarding the "Skip Hamm BMW" name that may have been an assumption on my part. I have no doubt he owned the operation at that time but it could have been under another name.

Thanks for solving another piece of the puzzle.

John

PS: The hunt for history is almost more fun that having the car.... ;)

Attachments

• 9-12-2009.JPG
    9-12-2009.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 152
  • 9-12-2010.JPG
    9-12-2010.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 141
  • 9-12-2011.JPG
    9-12-2011.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_2298.jpg
    IMG_2298.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 133

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The name BW Service in the directory could be a typo, replace it with BMW Service perhaps? These dealers were very small, if they had three cars in inventory they were ecstatic. Owners had to order and wait for delivery, unless you were Vasek Polak!

johnl

Reaction score
The name BW Service in the directory could be a typo, replace it with BMW Service perhaps? These dealers were very small, if they had three cars in inventory they were ecstatic. Owners had to order and wait for delivery, unless you were Vasek Polak!

What Chris states I agree with. Back in the '60's when Dave Hogan, sales manager at Schneider Motors, and I use to go to Long Beach at the port to drive new cars back we would fill the place with just two.

Joe Schneider was the first BMW dealership in Orange County, CA based out of Anaheim. I give Joe credit for introducing me to the product and made a life long believer out of me.

Even when we purchased our first Bavaria from Crevier BMW, then on Broadway in Santa Ana you could only get a couple of cars in the show room. Times do change.