sloppy shifter issue

lloyd

Reaction score
I was looking at a vehicle that has an extremely sloppy shifter. So sloppy I was afraid to test drive it.

Eliminated the usual suspects: transmission mount is tight, rubber mounting blocks and shift platform are tight and the foam collar is tight. With a flashlight I was able to notice a tang on the bottom of the shifter assembly that was worn. Unfortunately, I have never seen a shifter style like this. It does not appear, so far as I am aware, in the factory manual or OEM diagrams. Trans is getrag 262. Shifter, is believed to be original early 73.

Anyone ever encounter this type of shifter? Any other vehicle/model use it? My first thought was to remove shifter and weld new metal on tang, but perhaps there is another fix?

sloppy shifter

coule be the nylon (?) socket bits at the pivot about 2/3 down the shifter, but sounds like you're astute enough to check these by removing the shifter boot and looking there - you can also feel where the slop is.

Have not heard of shifter forks so severely worn that they made shifting sloppy - usually some gorilla will just bend 'em, but that's real rare.

sloppy shifter epilogue

Bad weather prevented a closer exam of the shifter and thus no pictures. From the debris in the trunk, it appears someone attempted to fit an after-market gear selector to the existing trans. Anyone remember Hurst?

Thinking out loud. We have an early style shifter that might be useable. Would anyone happen to know whether the two (nylon?) bushings employed in the 2002 shift assembly are the same for the early six? I am referring to the bushings below the ball portion that attach to the fork on the shifter rod.

In any event, thanks for your replies.

Shifter bushings

The busings are the same for 3.0CS (Getrag trans) and 2002s.

Part number is 23 41 1 466 120 and you need 2.

Back