Sloppy steering on 73 e3 fixed

chope97

Reaction score
My 73 E3 Blue from Cali had developed a dangerous steering problem there was so much play the car was dangerous to drive. Braking was affected too when you did serious braking the car pulled from side to side almost pulling the car out of it's lane. The last time the car was in the shop the tech noticed the center track link was worn. So I ordered one. My friend who is a retired BMW tech and used to work on these cars said he would put the track link in. The first thing he did was asked me to turn the steering wheel while he was under the car looking at the linkage. He was surprised to see the steering box move. Yes the box moved it turns out that the three bolts holding the box to the frame where all loose. He tighten them up and torqued them and voila I have a new car. I took it for a test drive and man it is a nice car to drive fast now. It is so good to have a friend who is a BMW tech who can work on the old cars. I have owned 3 different Bavaria for over 30 years so I can work on them but it is nice to have a friend who worked on them for a living.