Slow Speedo Question

josante

Reaction score
Hi there!!! Me again :) Speedo question this time

When I was gettting ready to do the 5-speed conversion on my car, I took the opportunity to send the speedometer -- whose speed-neddle was completely dead -- to North Hollywood Speedometer for a complete overhaul. Everything is done now and the only regret with the 5-speed conversion is that I did not do it sooner. It's a fantastic upgrade and I figure the only thing more tranformative to this particular car would be a 3.5L motronic conversion.

Having said that, the only nick in the armor is that the speedo is not working or, I should say, not working properly. The odometer seems to be working fine as it records my daily commute milage pretty accurately, but the speed needle seems to get up to half the speed if I'm going fast, and not at all if I'm going slow. The is no jumpiness in the neddle, it goes up pretty smoothly. Having done my research before hand on the 5-speed conversion, I ordered an automatic transmission speedo cable out of a e12 528i. Speedo seems to work OK if I attach a Dremmel to the back and I know how to stick a speedo cable onto a transmision, so I'm at a loss here. Did I purchase the wrong speedo cable or do u guys think I should just send the speedo back to NHS?

Regards,

'72 3.0CS
'79 323i (lost to the FL rust monster)
'02 530i

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
If the odometer tracks mileage accurately then the speedo should be close to accurate too. They work off the same cable and the odometer works off the speedo. I would suggest sending the speedo back.