So Confused!!!

Adadebe

Reaction score
After reading all the info in this forum and as part of my plans to convert my 73cs 4 speed to a 5 speed, I took a look at 2 trannys today one from an 81 528i and one from an 85 535i. These 2 trannys looked like they had separate bell housing and 3 additional separate pieces nd I will assume they were 265s which is what i am looking for. However the numbers on both trannys said 262 00 510 xxxx - Am I missing something? should they have 265 XXXXX. Is the 265 not written on the trannys?

I'd very much appreciate some help here

They ended up using a lot of 262 middle cases. My 265 says 262 on it. No big deal. If it is a 5 speed, you can be sure it isn't a 262.

x_atlas0

For the 85 535I tranny it came with a shifter - can I use this shifter? also, how difficult is it to switch the speedo gear ? the 85 535i Im assuming wont have the mechanical gear.

E9 trans tunnel is apparently identical to the E28. So, yeah, the shifter will fit, but you will have to weld a flange to hold up the rear part of the shifter. While you are down there, though, why not put in a short shifter? Makes shifting much better. Changing the bushings would probably a good idea too, since they are easily reached currently.

As for the speedo drive swap, I really don't know since mine had a speedo drive stock.

Adadebe said:
the 85 535i Im assuming wont have the mechanical gear.

Correct. The one from the E12 should, assuming it's the original unit. the electromechanical drive trans will have a block-off plate where the mechanical speedodrive exits the trans at the rear.

Flange to hold it up? not.

My '73 didn't need a "flange to hold it up" there was a hole in the top of the tunnel already, in just the right spot, and I used an air cleaner rubber mount there to hang the rear of the shifter platform.

okay okay some might not happen to have that little hole, I disremember why it was there, but it just was, and I was happy.

Now that air cleaner mount item is a small rubber spool with 6 mm studs on each end. It's used in many later bimmers, and I find it on Benzes also, so it's a common rubber part.

The rubber shifter mount broke once. Of course it did, since I had scrouged it from the donor '81 528i. Shifting was near impossible for a little bit. But if you understand what happens (the rear of the shifter platform, shifter included, drops a couple inches), you can hold the shifter up and with some difficulty change gears well enough to get home. In the end, mount breakage is not a show-stopper, just a temporary humbug. I replaced the broken item with another off an old bimmer, and it has held up another couple years.

Any trans going in should have the input, output AND shift selector shaft seals replaced. Many times on an old trans the two big ones have been done already, but the little shifter unit will still be original and leaky. DAMHIK.

Back