Wladek

Reaction score
Hello,
for sale is very nice unique/custom wooden Momo ca.37cm/365mm steering wheel, will fit any E9 (CSI CSL CS).
Thank you.
DSC00634.jpg

This

Last edited:
A nice change from the ubiquitous Petri.

If it had a black leather grip I would buy it.
Did Momo make such a variant?

John

@Wladek,

Can you please confirm whether this is in fact a momo gritti wheel that has been drilled out to have Prototipo S holes? You had asked me for the dimension and location of the prototipo S holes, which I did not provide. At the time you said that it was for your own personal wheel, and you would not be selling. The steering wheel shown with the holes above was not a product of the momo factory, as evident by the text that was drilled through on the back of the wheel. I appreciate your fabrication an ingenuity, but please be transparent with this group if you have modified the wheel.

A nice change from the ubiquitous Petri.

If it had a black leather grip I would buy it.
Yes, that wheel was sort of change for me from Petri.
I think if it was black leather - the price would be at least slightly different.

@Wladek,

Can you please confirm whether this is in fact a momo gritti wheel that has been drilled out to have Prototipo S holes? You had asked me for the dimension and location of the prototipo S holes, which I did not provide. At the time you said that it was for your own personal wheel, and you would not be selling. The steering wheel shown with the holes above was not a product of the momo factory, as evident by the text that was drilled through on the back of the wheel. I appreciate your fabrication an ingenuity, but please be transparent with this group if you have modified the wheel.

Yes, it is my custom unique Momo Gritty/GL37 wheel, i made the wheel for myself as a second wheel for my e9; during the project i actually didn't planned to sell it, but as always plans changed.

That's why i wrote "prototipo s style" & "unique" in description.

Last edited:
Little explanation - machined holes size and location where made according to CSL 37cm Alpina steering wheel (same as below).
It is obvious that selling steering wheel is not the same, but technically it is very close to Alpina/Prototipo S & frame is the same.
My intention wasn't to make a replica of Alpina (i am not a huge fan), but something unique, stylish, that will match e9 interior & partially refer to early CSL - i might be wrong, but i think original Momo Gritti/GL37 wooden grip with additional Momo Gritti/GL37 center ring & added holes make this wheel very unique, something you woun't find just like that.
The whole process took pretty a lot of time for preparations, but also for machine work itself, it wasn't hand drilling as someone might think.
B23.jpg
early Alpina CSL strg wheel.jpg

Last edited:
I bought the wheel from Wladek. It was packed securely and received later in March. The search for the hardware for a 38cm Petri was getting nowhere and I like having something different from the Petri/Nardi wheels seen in most Coupes. My wood Formel wheel is really nice,but I had to wear driving gloves to feel comfortable grabbing the wheel's rim. Alan Gunn has a wheel restoration shop near me and he has covered steering wheels in leather for over 25 years. I first drove the car with the Momo wheel to see how the slightly smaller (37cm) diameter felt. Then I gave him the wheel,picked out the leather and thin foam backing,and 3 weeks later I had a wheel that looks and feels great in the car. He used the traditional BMW stitch pattern on the rim. The rim is thicker than the foam or leather Petri,which I think are both too narrow for my taste. But the leather rim is not as thick as the modern leather wheels. And having a turn signal canceller tab is nice,too. The final touch was going to the wheel alignment shop to have the tie rods adjusted so the wheel is straight with the front end.
Here are pics of the project.

Attachments

• IMG_3066.jpg
    IMG_3066.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_3067.jpg
    IMG_3067.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_3068.jpg
    IMG_3068.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_3069.jpg
    IMG_3069.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_3070.jpg
    IMG_3070.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_3071.jpg
    IMG_3071.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_3072.jpg
    IMG_3072.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_3073.jpg
    IMG_3073.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_3074.jpg
    IMG_3074.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_3075.jpg
    IMG_3075.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_3076.jpg
    IMG_3076.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_3082.jpg
    IMG_3082.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 167
It looks like maybe this steering wheel made it all the way to Amelia! Or maybe my eyes are getting worse.

View attachment 158404

View attachment 158405
John P, your eyes are just fine. Driving 350 miles to Amelia Island from Ft. Lauderdale was easy compared to the wheel being in Hilton Head LOTA and the Ashville,NC Vintage. Those were all-day drives with a comfortable steering wheel and a heavy right foot. The Insta post also showed the MiniChamps Turkis model on the back shelf.

Attachments

• Amelia Cars & Caffeine 3-4-23.JPG
    Amelia Cars & Caffeine 3-4-23.JPG
    756.5 KB · Views: 57
Back