Some Speedometer Cable Questions

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok, so my electric sport E24 seat has two short cables that are trashed (cannot recline) and I cannot locate these NLA parts (see #9 below). The ends of the cables are squared like a speedo cable but the center of the cable is round. I bought used longer ones but you cannot cut them and square them off, they just unravel. So does the speedo cable of an E3 or E9 have just the ends squared or is it the entire cable and if the entire cable is squared off, can someone pull a micrometer out and measure it? Of course is you have an old e24 sport seat and have these cables then, well....... I assume they are round also to spin freely in their sheath but you never know.

Scott et al, feel free to move this to off-topic if appropriate.

1728851635652.png

Last edited:
I do not have a cable at hand, but thes cables are always made up of strands to be able to rotate freely. The ends are then made by casting a lump of metal over them in any shape desired, round, plug, ball, square, you name it.

So if you cannot find the partnumber you need, you do need to locate something first with a square end, then hope it is long enough.
Too short is an issue, too long just means it makes a few extra bends between begin and end.

A good speedometer shop should be able to make a cable for you with a square end on it as a speedometer usually has a square end where it connects to
the speedo. If not, they should be able to provide you with the fitting it self. Of course that is if the fitting is the same size

what year is the e24? just curious if it was a later version that was similar to the M5 / 535i seats ... or the e12 based e24 that had the early style seats. the drawing makes me think later e24

It is an 86. Cables are short, sheath is 190mm so I think these are 215mm overall.

Last edited:
Is 190 the number printed on the sheath? I had ordered all the cables for my '88 and wound up only using a couple. Just maybe.
On my old racer with a mechanical tach made up a new cable silver-soldering two "halves" then grinding round again at the splice.
I believe the squares are formed by stamping - maybe could fill an inch or so at end of shortened cable then grind square?
At one point I got a "universal" speedometer cable which was square through its full length and could be trimmed to length. Might still be available (NAPA or JC Whitney or the like). Not ideal to run a square cable in a round sheath but then on a car seat you are not continually running.

The usual repair kits use a crimp-on end on a round cable but the shoulder may not fit in the seat cable sheath and thus prevent engagement into retainer.

Well thank you for the effort and I hope you are well considering the recent FL weather. I don't think any form of solder will hold up as turning a speedo is a cake walk c/w a seat that is occupied.

I looked at the lengths in RealOem and the shortest is 215mm which prob includes the 190mm sheath and 25mm for the ends that are squared off. GetBMWParts still lists them so I will call before I order and get the NLA email the next day. If NLA, then a search for a speedo cable. WN seems to have them but 50 euros to ship 30 euros in parts, I'm not there yet!

I measured the sheath and it is 190mm, threw in 1/2 inch to stick out at each end or 25mm more and that's 115mm. I ordered 2 , 115mm length cables from the dealer. Coming from Germany, 25 bucks each. Let you know when I get it.

Back