Sound deadening material

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Hello, O sage ones of the E9 board.

I got the other rear window out today (without breaking it!) by chewing up the plastic tooth ring in the transmission. (the large plastic ring on the gear that mates with the worm gear)

Anyway, the next step in my semi-resto is to remove the sound deadening material scattered throughout the cabin. The material is this tar-like substance covered with a sheet of fiber.

What is the correct manner of removing this material? I need to know if I have rust underneath it.

I also found that I have a large rust hole in the rear left wheel well, where it bulges in behind the rear seats, so that is yet another thing the body shop will have to rectify.

Sound insulation removal

I got most of mine off with a heat gun and putty knife.

Messy and slow, but worked well.

Get crushed dry ice and keep it in the bag

This is the method I used on my 02 and it enabled me to brake most of the material off pretty quickly (and it wasn't messy). What did not break, I was able to peel/pull off the metal. Use a bag for the ice to work around the transmission tunnel and up the back of the seats. I did not bag it and ended up having to buy much more dry ice. I think I used between 50 and 75 lbs. You live and learn. Its a little too hot for the heat gun.

Another option is to use a masonry/brick pointer, which has a wooden handle and a six or seven inch length of metal about 3/8" wide. And stick it under the tar and pull up. This is what I used to remove some of the stuff in my engine compartment and in the cab of my e9. Takes a little more effort than ice but the tool was lying around the house.

If your floor pans are rusted out then that's less ice that needs to be purchased (sure many of us know this scenario). You can practice your welding.

Good luck and thanks for the PM on the 02 board.

Roger aka rns7602

Back