sound deadening

I have used dynamat and summit racing has their own brand, which is cheaper and just as good. Peel off backing and stick to floors and inside of doors. Very good sound deadening also has a heat shield. Price is based on thickness which makes a difference. Never used lizard skin.
Mike

I too used a dynamat knock off product. For sound, you don't need as much as you may think. Low frequencies, which are the most the annoying in a car, travel through larger panels and can be rejected with a patch in the center of a panel. Even though companies advertising these products show wall to wall usage, this isn't necessary unless you are trying to get your interior very quiet so that you can hear your big fancy stereo (which is silly given the ambient noise that will travel through all the glass in our cars).

You may want more coverage on certain interior surfaces if you are seeking to insulate. Firewall and/or floor panels warrant more coverage.

The factory used thin tar patches in the doors and quarters which does help as Ohmess points out. I used a product called cascade which is like Lizard Skin. It is latex and has a similar texture to shutz undercoating. The texture helps disrupt the sound. I used it on both firewalls, doors, quarters, floorboards, and ceiling. It is definitely quieter and more solid sounding. Also the exhaust doesn't really penetrate in to the cabin. As Ohmess also points out the amount off glass, as well as, the noise from the wind wings and lack of b-pillar will still cause a lot of noise to enter the car.

The thing I don't like about dynamat is that it could peel off the ceiling and the door skins causing other issues.

The factory used thin tar patches in the doors and quarters which does help as Ohmess points out. I used a product called cascade which is like Lizard Skin. It is latex and has a similar texture to shutz undercoating. The texture helps disrupt the sound. I used it on both firewalls, doors, quarters, floorboards, and ceiling. It is definitely quieter and more solid sounding. Also the exhaust doesn't really penetrate in to the cabin. As Ohmess also points out the amount off glass, as well as, the noise from the wind wings and lack of b-pillar will still cause a lot of noise to enter the car.

The thing I don't like about dynamat is that it could peel off the ceiling and the door skins causing other issues.

Thanks all, as occoupe says, I am looking at alternatives to dynamite or similar and I like the spray/paint on idea for adhesion.
Any other thoughts ?

Back