Source for oil dipsticks - strange request

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
My mechanic replaced a loose oil dipstick tube with one from BMW, but the
dipstick that came with it is about 1 inch too short. Inquiries to dealer from him and me have not been beneficial.

Anyone know a source for dipsticks? BavAuto? La Jolla? Fortunately since it is not injected, a tight seal is not necessary. I don't mind ordering more than one to get it right - easier than removing (now very tight) dipstick tube.

Thanks.

lloyd

Reaction score
Short dipstick remedy?

My first reaction was the ugliest of suggestions: Why not weld or braze the extension you need to the existing dipstick? Even a simple piece of welding rod might suffice.

This is probably not the best suggestion of the lot, but I know its been done, because I once found one just like it. Since it won't be obvious to the folks watching your car at Pebble Beach, no harm no foul?

Just a thought!

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks all.

You mean the concours judges don't pull the dipstick? Whew.

The graveyard idea is a good one.

chicane

Reaction score
My mechanic replaced a loose oil dipstick tube with one from BMW, but the
dipstick that came with it is about 1 inch too short. Inquiries to dealer from him and me have not been beneficial.

Anyone know a source for dipsticks? BavAuto? La Jolla? Fortunately since it is not injected, a tight seal is not necessary. I don't mind ordering more than one to get it right - easier than removing (now very tight) dipstick tube.

Thanks.

I was positive that "Help" made a generic dipstick that could be cut to size. Check AutoZone, PepBoys, Advanced.