source for underhood foam insulation pads?

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
there is a set on ebay i might bid on....original bmw, but i'm wondering what other sources there are for the original parts...how much do they cost new?

thanks
ccr

I recall paying about $60 a year ago for the BMW original part through Stanford European.

original underhood pads

readilly available from your local stealer(s)--the $60+ figure is about right--but expect a little more with each nudge of the Euro vs dollar.

I'm wondering if your 3.0 has higher actual mileage than has been indicated to you as there are things you are finding in need of replacement generally well after that of an 18K car--are you sure it's not 118K?

BTW--when replacing underhood foam--take the time to remove old adhesive as it interferes with proper bonding of the new replacement pads that are self adhesive. Great care must be taken when installing new as the adhesive is VERY UNFORGIVING when it contacts a clean surface as you carefully peel and expose the ahesive to the underside of your hood. As with many little steps in getting from where you are to "perfection" that you have described, some prior practice at those steps is often very helpful.

I really don't know enough to say one way or the other for sure...PO was a bmw mechanic supposedly so he did all his own work....no paperwork to follow.

the bmw mechanic going over it now thinks its probably original.

tires and wheels look original...no curb rash at all

the family adamantly maintains that he rarely drove it and it's been in storage pretty much since his death many years ago.

but who knows...

so far...the tires have a flat spot, its getting a tune-up, the exhaust has a hole in it from rust, the clock doesn't work, a/c needs recharge, fuel pump has a leak, head gasket needs a new seal (dried out), guibo cracked from drying, shift boot zipper is separating from the leather a little.

paint appears original to everyone's eye so far...the window seals, door seals, hood seal, underhood insulation (which is so brittle it's nearly dust) are original. no rock chips up front or by the wheel wells. no key scratching by the ignition or the door (my 95k tii in high school had tons of these).

clutch and tranny feel great...no smoke at all.

leather looks new...still horsehair seats

seat belts look like they've never been used.

carpet looks great...no worn out spots.

no rust in the usual places.

trunk is perfect...toolkit complete.

i'm not sure but it looks like the windshield nozzles on the hood may be replaced...they are black and smaller than the chrome ones i thought were original to the cs...i'm not sure.

anyway...as soon as its sorted....i'll take pics and would love to hear what you think...as i said...i really don't know enough. either way..it'll be great to have.[/img]

i'm not sure but it looks like the windshield nozzles on the hood may be replaced...they are black and smaller than the chrome ones i thought were original to the cs...i'm not sure.

Just FYI, E9's don't have spray nozzles in the hood. They have little chrome tubes that mount under and spray through the cowl vent grills.

My E9 also has the little black spray nozzles. I can't say they are original but they exactly the same as what came on my '72 Bavaria (3.0s) - My first BMW!

WSW spray nozzles

Metal spray tubes--metalurgy unknown but not chrome (someone has apparently taken cosmetic liberties with your spray tubes) were/are found in original 2800 CS's and no holes in the hood (bonnet for some)--they deliver the spray from beneath and through slots in the hood grills

Then along came the 3.0 CS--believe the 1972 model was first in the US--with black plastic spray nozzles spray delivered through flexible tubing leading to the underside of black plastic nozzles located in holes in the hood--also same treatment was given the e-3 or Bavaria stateside.

I just looked up the parts and got more facts from the BMW part database:

- The black spray nozzles were used on US 2800CS and 3.0CS models from 4/71 thru 11/75.
- The nozzles were used on US 2800CS and 3.0CS models from 12/68 thru 10/73.

So, between 4/71 and 10/73 you could wind up with either option. It is not clear what the reason for the overlap is. My '71 3.0CS has the black nozzles; the body says it is a late year 71 and the registration says it is a 72.

Go figure.

8)

Re: WSW spray nozzles

Metal spray tubes--metalurgy unknown but not chrome (someone has apparently taken cosmetic liberties with your spray tubes) were/are found in original 2800 CS's and no holes in the hood (bonnet for some)--they deliver the spray from beneath and through slots in the hood grills Then along came the 3.0 CS--believe the 1972 model was first in the US--with black plastic spray nozzles spray delivered through flexible tubing leading to the underside of black plastic nozzles located in holes in the hood--also same treatment was given the e-3 or Bavaria stateside.
Spray tubes came in both chrome and a zinc-ish looking metal finish...chrome, early, zinc-ish, later. I've never seen the chrome ones NOS however. If I remember I can check on 2270011 (the tubes on my 68 1600 are chrome) correct on the no holes in the E9 center hood, unlike the early E3 2500 and 2800 which had a third spray tube peeking through a hole in the center line of the hood

Back