South Carolina

Mmshul

Site Donor
Reaction score
The wife and I have been considering Charleston SC for our new home. Been to Charleston a couple times, but not enough to understand the goings on there.
Any members who might be acquainted to that area?
Thank you
Mike

Yes, Aiken is a pretty place for sure.

Charleston is a beautiful place. Amazing architecture, rich in culture, great restaurants, low crime. Cost of living index is 11% higher than the US average, but much that is the cost of housing, although Charleston has a higher sales tax (9%) and a personal property tax on cars! SC tends to vote Republican, but Charleston, like most major metropolitan areas, has more Democrats.

Charleston is pretty far south (similar latitude to San Diego, CA or Beruit, Lebanon), so weather is quite warm. SC is pretty much in the 90s now, and will be for the next six weeks. Charleston has a narrower temperature range in the summer; it doesn’t cool down very much at night. And while it is not technically SC “low country”, it too has high humidity that will linger well into September. Having grown up in WI, I find the adjustment to the temperatures in the South to be something of a challenge.

My experience in the past few months is that people are very engaging here. (People in the area I left just outside Washington, DC were not quite as charming as your average stranger in NY City, but they were close.) Encountering the hardware store clerk or the landscaping guy who has arrived to tend to your trees usually involves a greeting and a few minutes of small talk, even when you have never met one another before.

When selecting a spot in SC, I would be mindful of flooding. You may recall there were floods up around the BMW factory in Spartanburg earlier this year, so this is not ancient history. I picked a house located near the top of the divide between the Edisto and Savannah river watersheds for exactly this reason. In Charleston, finding higher ground likely will be a challenge.

Charleston experiences hurricanes from time to time too, which places a premium not only on preparedness (probably not much of an issue for Idaho people), but also on finding a location with good exits. Many of the beautiful island communities have only one way in and out.

And, of course, living really close to the ocean can wreak havoc with classic cars.

What are you looking for?

Chris,

Hadn't realized you'd moved to Aiken. Kitty and I spent a few days there about 5-6 years ago, and enjoyed the stay. I'm sure the thing you miss most about leaving metro DC is the beltway traffic!!! Do you just sit in your car for 5-10 minutes at a time on a road outside Aiken, then move one car length and do it all over again (and again) just to remember 'the good old days'!!

Sounds like a great choice for re-locating.

We also have friends who located to Summerville, and really like living there.

Gary

Last edited:
The wife and I have been considering Charleston SC for our new home. Been to Charleston a couple times, but not enough to understand the goings on there.
Any members who might be acquainted to that area?
Thank you
Mike

I lived and worked in Charleston from 1999-2008. I was raised in Richmond, VA, and I like southern living. I hate winter, and I like palm trees. My wife and I moved to Charleston to do our residency training at MUSC hospital downtown. We lived in a duplex located on Rutledge, just south of Broad St for four years. We rode our bikes about a mile each day to get to the hospital. It was fantastic. I love the architecture and the scale and walkability of downtown Charleston, as well as the numerous parks and playgrounds.

But to reiterate Chris' comment, downtown Charleston is slowly sinking, and floods are a problem. I would have an SUV as a DD for that reason, if I lived downtown or if I had to use the Crosstown expressway, which links both Mt Pleasant and West Ashley to downtown.

Once we were expecting our second child, we needed a bigger place, so we moved to West Ashley for the next five years, but within a mile of the bridge to downtown. We lived in an area called Wappoo Heights, which was an older suburb, with most homes from the 1940-60s vintage. Our house was nothing special, but the yard was a half acre of towering oaks dripping with Spanish Moss. So beautiful. My job was in a private practice less than ten minutes drive from the house.

As for weather, highs in the 50s in winter, and 90s in the summer. Only a few nights a year dip below freezing, especially closer to the water.

So why are you thinking Charleston--beaches? weather? golf? work related move? I was pretty busy back then with little kids and a job, but about once or twice a month I was able to sneak off to Folly Beach for some waves, even in winter (with a heavy wetsuit). The driving roads suck around Charleston. Straight and flat.

Charleston is not cheap. Plenty of million dollar homes. Summerville is affordable and nice, but it puts you an hour from the beaches and forty minutes from downtown. Charleston has lots off commuter traffic. If you live way out and have to commute into town, it is unpleasant. If you are retired, then not as much of a concern.

If you want a house with a dock in Charleston, expect it to be very expensive, and the tides are big, so a lot of docks have little to no water at low tide. Waterways can be crowded in summer.

What is your housing budget? How many SF are you expecting?

My favorite areas are I'on in Mt. Pleasant, old village Mt Pleasant, downtown south of Calhoun St, Sullivan's Island and Isle of Palms, of course there is nothing below 500k in any of these areas. Along the SC coast, I like the sleepy town of Beaufort. Also, I really like Amelia Island, FL, which has landscape very much like Charleston, but no state income tax.

Charleston has low prop taxes, but a significant state income tax, high annual tax on cars, and sales tax. Expect to pay flood insurance and hurricane insurance. Expect to want to get away in the summer to Idaho, or the NC mountains, about four hours away. It's hot June-Sept. And there are a lot of no see ums in some areas. Worse than mosquitos.
I earn a lot more in my job here in FL,, and I live a couple of blocks from the gulf and we have a dock with a boat behind our house here in FL. If my current job had been in Charleston, I never would have left. Charleston is great, if you can afford the nicer areas and you don't need to commute. It all depends on your housing budget. BTW my sister is retired and divides her time between Vero Beach and Sun Valley.

Charleston is one of my favorite small cities for several reasons. first, there is an incredible food scene there with great restaurants (casual + fine dining), there is good farm to table provisions there. great access to water - beaches, sailing + general boating. i have a good friend who lives on kiawah island - great golf courses, beach club, etc. ... it is expensive. kiawah has been working to improve their concours, fun ... but a long way to go to be great.
as Scott (craterface) mentions, Beaufort, Mt. Pleasant are great nearby places.

No. Aiken is across the Savannah River from Augusta, GA. Piedmont area, not low country and not coastal. I didn't want to live right on the coast, due to the expense, the toll it takes on houses, the toll it takes on cars, the tourists, and in SC, even higher levels of humidity. If I were to live near the ocean/gulf anywhere in the US, I would have moved to Naples, FL near to Craterface.

And feel free to PM me, we can talk offline about housing budgets, etc.
Charleston is one of my favorite small cities for several reasons. first, there is an incredible food scene there with great restaurants (casual + fine dining), there is good farm to table provisions there. great access to water - beaches, sailing + general boating. i have a good friend who lives on kiawah island - great golf courses, beach club, etc. ... it is expensive. kiawah has been working to improve their concours, fun ... but a long way to go to be great.
as Scott (craterface) mentions, Beaufort, Mt. Pleasant are great nearby places.
Thank you. We have viewed a couple homes in Mt. Pleasant. Looks like a nice community. To your point about the restaurants, 4 of the top 11 restaurants in the USA are in Charleston. Pretty impressive I say. I’ll look at Beaufort shortly.

Back