Spare parts - value?

Dave B

Reaction score
Group,

I was at a car show recently and a guy put a card on my windshield saying he had some CS bits for sale. Turns out he had a CSL long time back which met with an unfortunate end. Long story short - another guy decided to take it for a spin while drunk. Crash bang wallop.

I think the owner then picked up another CSL and made a good one from two.

In a storage container he has a chunk of CS bits - I have seen a front bumper which looks in very good nick, a very nice looking fuel tank, couple of wheels ( 7x 14 Alpinas I think ), lights, front grilles, and a few panels.

The other bits include an aluminium bootlid ( trunk), both aluminium doors, an aluminium bonnet, a steel bonnet, a pair of brand new outer sills, several new or at least very nice looking chrome side trim, chromed / stainless wiper blades, badges, couple of CSL wheel arches, 2 x black rear seats, think there will be other bits and pieces too. I have seen most of the bits, but did not study them too closely, but they appear to be in fairly good condition.

The question - can anyone put a rough value to that lot??

The guy was a long term CSL owner, and is aware of the rarity, and wont be giving the lot away for a steal.

I am presently looking for a bootlid for my CSi, and just missed one on ebay uk the other day due to work commitments ( bugger! ) I dont really bother if I put an aluminium bootlid on if there is one available locally. I cannot see the point of replacing all the panels with alloy ones as I am not making or trying to make a CSL - even if I did do all that, my car would still be a CSi.

I would appeciate your comments.

Hi Dave,
THe problem with the parts is many fold.
The current owner probably knows they are worth money to somebody who is deperate for parts especially if he or she wants original bits
However on the other hand are worthless if you can't sell them, or they are only worth whatever somebody is willing to pay.

The second problem he faces is his location. If he is up north then his market is very limited (you and me) and very few people will buy sight unseen and probably don't want to travel 400 miles plus to look at a pile of bits. In addition the whole UK market is pretty limited with so few cars left on the road

If he is loosing storage then the pressure is on....Speaking of which do you have enough space to hang on to bits? Mrs Dave might not consider them modern art if you store them in the living room :wink:
Prices
Well my thoughts
£100 for a brace of doors
£50 for each bonnet
£50 for the boot lid
£100 for the rest of the "rubbish"
Start at £250 for the lot and barter. I'm sure there will be lots of North East Farmer sucking of teeth and tutting....
When I get back (probably next week) I could come and have a look and "value" stuff for you.
Cheers
Malc

parts

For that money, I would have taken them all away already!

He knows the rarity, and wont be giving them away. He also knows the flip side - aint many of them left, aint many to restore and he is north of me and south of Malc.

I thought the alloy panels may be more valuable than Malc suggested as ball park figures.

If there was somebody desperate for some bits, I could always pass him your names and contact info....

I will have to replace the boot, doors, bonnet within the next couple of years, so I'd be interested in talking to the guy if possible ?

Guess my CSi would no longer be authentic though !?

My email is [email protected]

Thanks

Group,

I was at a car show recently and a guy put a card on my windshield saying he had some CS bits for sale. Turns out he had a CSL long time back which met with an unfortunate end. Long story short - another guy decided to take it for a spin while drunk. Crash bang wallop.

I think the owner then picked up another CSL and made a good one from two.

In a storage container he has a chunk of CS bits - I have seen a front bumper which looks in very good nick, a very nice looking fuel tank, couple of wheels ( 7x 14 Alpinas I think ), lights, front grilles, and a few panels.

The other bits include an aluminium bootlid ( trunk), both aluminium doors, an aluminium bonnet, a steel bonnet, a pair of brand new outer sills, several new or at least very nice looking chrome side trim, chromed / stainless wiper blades, badges, couple of CSL wheel arches, 2 x black rear seats, think there will be other bits and pieces too. I have seen most of the bits, but did not study them too closely, but they appear to be in fairly good condition.

The question - can anyone put a rough value to that lot??

The guy was a long term CSL owner, and is aware of the rarity, and wont be giving the lot away for a steal.

I am presently looking for a bootlid for my CSi, and just missed one on ebay uk the other day due to work commitments ( bugger! ) I dont really bother if I put an aluminium bootlid on if there is one available locally. I cannot see the point of replacing all the panels with alloy ones as I am not making or trying to make a CSL - even if I did do all that, my car would still be a CSi.

I would appeciate your comments.

Dave to give you some idea last year I paid £700 for a bonnet, boot lid and two doors from a CSL from Ebay. The items actuall ended at over £900 ( it's a long story) !!! The only thing I can suggest is to play it by ear, and see what you can get them for. If you're lucky and the guy doesn't know their true worth you could end up keeping the boot lid and selling what you don't need for a very tidy profit.
Good luck :wink:

Back