Spare Parts

Bwana

Reaction score
Not sure if this should go here or in "Parts" so Mods feel free to move if necessary.

A lot of us have multiple BMW's, both new-ish and vintage. Over the years I've bought hundreds of parts thru BMW (usually out of The Woodlands) for my e3, e9, and e39 including some weird D-Jet parts and a couple of windshields. Usually never a problem, even if it has to be shipped (always flown) out of Germany. Most have arrived within a week to 10 days.

My daughter has a 2001 330Ci e46 in which she unfortunately had to run over a "road gator" (truck re-tread) one dark night on the Interstate. It tore out the underbody panels on the left side, shorted out the ambient air temp sensor which in turn shorted out the whole dash board.

My issue is it's taken more than 7 weeks to get a replacement instrument panel from BMW! This seems to be absurd. The dealer claims the usual infrastructure and shipping problems and can't even get a tracking receipt on the cluster from Germany. They have no idea where it is, when it will ship, and when it might get here.

Has anybody else had parts problems recently with their older but not vintage cars? Does this seem to be the new normal or are they clueless at the dealer parts department?

Last edited:

Bwana

Reaction score
Looks like it's bad all over. I talked to Seattle BMW parts and they had the same 4-6 week delivery. ECS Tuning had the same answer. Staff shortage in Germany plus shipping woes....oh well.....

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
"
It tore out the underbody panels on the left side, shorted out the ambient air temp sensor which in turn shorted out the whole dash board.

My issue is it's taken more than 7 weeks to get a replacement instrument panel from BMW!"

I'm surprised one can even get that panel!

Especially for a 2001 car!

10 years is the minimum car manufacturers have to make parts for a particular car.

7 weeks is nothing.

Took FOUR MONTHS to get a seat mechanism for my 2012 G37S convertible.