spare tire well.......

willybali

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm wondering how many of you have tackled this, I waited to summers end now Its my turn to: I found that spare well it tacked to underbody tie down, which looks needing cutting off, trying to figure out how to get the final spot weld behind the. arch which comes down almost touching but not. bunches of weld underneath along fuel tank support--guessing now why they sell all these pieces, while I'm finding they are similar they are not guessing this formulation came from way later car--perhaps 2.5 euro version. here are some pics of where I'm at and all should be out by the weekend.............maybe. anyone with advise please speak up- also I thought a guy from the Netherlands spoke about where to find similar seam sealer. all heads up appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1037.JPG
    IMG_1037.JPG
    525.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1038.JPG
    IMG_1038.JPG
    341.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1040.JPG
    IMG_1040.JPG
    493.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1041.JPG
    IMG_1041.JPG
    506.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1042.JPG
    IMG_1042.JPG
    578.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1043.JPG
    IMG_1043.JPG
    509.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1044.JPG
    IMG_1044.JPG
    505.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1045.JPG
    IMG_1045.JPG
    259.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1046.JPG
    IMG_1046.JPG
    341.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1047.JPG
    IMG_1047.JPG
    284.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1036.JPG
    IMG_1036.JPG
    516.9 KB · Views: 39
I am not sure what you're question exactly is, but the spare tire wheel well is spotwelded to the sides.
Then it also has strip welds to the rear wheel arch, these welds are located inside the boot, and placed horizontally.

US versions have these extra beams running to the rear of the car, and you seem to have them as well. I think (never seen them in person) these are spotwelded to the spare tire tube as well.

The tie-down loops, on either side of the rear axle, are welded with strip welds as well. There is often some rust behind these things. They serve no real purpose anymore, they were meant for tie down during transport in the 70's. Nowadays a car would be held by it's tires, rims or suspension parts when transported.
In a non-concourse restoration, one could simply leave em out.

Does this answer your question?

Here are a few photos of the work I did on that area on my own coupe.

SDC14376.JPG

SDC14377.JPG

SDC14378.JPG
SDC14379.JPG

I didn't have to cut off the tie down - I think it may have been welded to the floor underneath, but must have managed to get out all the fragments of the old floor somehow. The bumper support bracket needed to come out. I saved the various mounting brackets for the spare wheel, jack etc. from the old panel and transferred these over.

I had no need to remove the right hand side of the floor/tank support so left that in. It did make getting the floor panel in tricky - I seem to recall it needed a little delicate trimming to enable it to be tucked under the various sheet metal sections where it meets the central support rail.

SDC14384.JPG

I don't have a spot welder, so plug welded the joints and ground flat. It was easier welding in some areas from the outside

SDC14385.JPG

It's a worthwhile job though, as one large piece fixes a big chunk of the car!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone- all in all not that bad - mine was welded at left wheel housing random spots right front under fuel tank support made no sense- now the hard part begins…..wondering if I need to mod fuel support and jack storage as they are different

Attachments

• IMG_1047.jpeg
    IMG_1047.jpeg
    284.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1046.jpeg
    IMG_1046.jpeg
    341.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1045.jpeg
    IMG_1045.jpeg
    259.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1044.jpeg
    IMG_1044.jpeg
    505.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1057.jpeg
    IMG_1057.jpeg
    899.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1056.jpeg
    IMG_1056.jpeg
    616 KB · Views: 21
I have the same with the marked spots, seams like a late 74 version.
I just hammer that areas flat.
Need to cut and weld, but than it's similar to your old spare well.

Breiti

Last edited:
Here are a few photos of the work I did on that area on my own coupe.

View attachment 189626
View attachment 189627

View attachment 189628View attachment 189629

I didn't have to cut off the tie down - I think it may have been welded to the floor underneath, but must have managed to get out all the fragments of the old floor somehow. The bumper support bracket needed to come out. I saved the various mounting brackets for the spare wheel, jack etc. from the old panel and transferred these over.

I had no need to remove the right hand side of the floor/tank support so left that in. It did make getting the floor panel in tricky - I seem to recall it needed a little delicate trimming to enable it to be tucked under the various sheet metal sections where it meets the central support rail.

View attachment 189630

I don't have a spot welder, so plug welded the joints and ground flat. It was easier welding in some areas from the outside

View attachment 189631
It's a worthwhile job though, as one large piece fixes a big chunk of the car!

Is that a 195/70VR14 Michelin XWX? I have listings of them back at the turn of the Century, but they havent been made for ages. fortunatley we do now have the Pirelli.

Hi Dougal, yes your eyes do not deceive you and I'd say you are right about the age of them! They were on the car when I bought it, and I think the date codes indicated 1996 vintage - they were rock hard and a couple had actually split from standing, so were swiftly replaced once the car was ready for the road.

I think XWX were at least predominently OE on the E9.

There has been stuff that makes me thing the Pirelli might have been OE on some cars as well. In the same way that the Alpina version of the 2002 fitted CN36 it could be the same with the E9. Also often cars buiilt for export to different countries had different brands of tyres on them too. However i haven't found any solid evidence one way or another.

it would be nice if the CN36 was also an OE option, because Pirelli have actually made it again which is great, but for a long time people have been fitting these cars with the 205/70VR14 XWX, because it is only a little bit bigger, and does fit so we do still offer it as an alternative to a 195/70R14

But really the Pirelli hits the spot now.

i don't remember the cn 36 ever being OE on BMW. back in the day i mostly saw them on Porsche. the first pirelli that i remember seeing as a OE tire was the p600 on the e21 320iS in a 60 series tire. Alpina, whole different kettle of fish.

Hi

Yep, i don't disagree, however that doesn't mean that cars going to italy didnt have Pirelli. they very much did that sort of thing in those days. at one point Lada that were being shipped to the Uk were fitted with Cinturato. when the ones staying at home had crap local tyres on them.

Back