Speaker Installation

E3_UK

Reaction score
I have removed the plastic grille above the instruments expecting to find an open space for speaker install however it is covered over with part of the dash moulding. It seems to be just thin card type material, therefore I am assuming that this would just need to be cut out to accept the speaker (the recessed area looks to be shaped for a speaker) ?. I was expecting to see mounting holes for the speaker but perhaps these are just drilled into the "card" to accept self tapping screws ?.

20240812_175741.jpg

My 1974 MY has that space blanked off as yours does, and the (factory/dealer? installed) stereo speakers are in the footwells.
1723492135554.jpeg

1723492207675.jpeg

* Not my photos

Last edited:
Thanks, I'd rather not mount speakers like this, if dash top isn't feasible I'll just hide it under the seats somewhere. Seems odd that this wouldn't be suitable for a speaker though.

Section 65 in the blue books has limited instruction on retrofitting a top of dash speaker.

Unbelievable, I missed this whole section when leafing through the blue book!!!!!. Thank you very much. It covers the exact procedure including cutting out the panel. How easy this is I shall soon find out !.

Last edited:
Thankfully it was just thin plastic, easy to cut with a sharp knife, and drill holes for self tapping screws. All installed now and sounds pretty good for a mono speaker with hidden antenna. It shouldn't have the additional chrome rimmed facia panel but I prefer how it looks with it.
20240816_134358.jpg

Last edited:
Many decades ago here is what I did in one of my E3's. I got a set of small trapazoid shaped box speakers and mounted them on the lower front edge of the seats (an angle bracket going between the 2 front seat mounting holes. They were small enough that you didn't notice them unless you put your foot all the way back and then your heel would touch them. Because they were self-enclosed you could attach them to the rear edge of the front floor mats. These provided the high/mid and some bass. I had a small 4x40 watt amp/eq fastened to the underside of the radio in one E3, and a slightly more powerful amp attached to the back wall of the cavernous glovebox in another E3r. These setups were very unintrusive, require no permanent modification to the vehicle, and sounded decent for the little they cost and the minimal space they occupied.

Here is an example of a small speaker that will fit in front of the seat. It is 5" x 7" x 11". When I had my E3's, I made the boxes using some 1/2" plywood.
1724169779466.png

Last edited:
Back