speaking of values- Left hand Drive vs. Right hand Drive

petert

Reaction score
Often there is discussion about how the values of coupes keep rising. I would imagine that it does make a difference who is raising the ante, and I suspect that would be the Americans, which would make the LHD more desirable. Because everytime we speak of such collectability, I assume it's the LHD version that I can drive around in the states. Maybe I'm wrong but does it make a difference? I sure would like to hear from the RHD owners about this.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think it makes any difference wether a CS is either left or right hand drive. If the values of the coupes do spike up sometime in the future then they should go up as a whole and not being isolated to a certain market or countries.

I bought my first CS coupe back in 1988 and my current CSi in 2002 and during the last 20 years or so I've heard and read stories from the so called experts and their opinions on how at any time the values of the coupes will rise appreciably. Back in the late 80's, an excellent example would've been priced at about $15,000 to $20,000 and this amount still holds true today. This may not be such a bad thing as super nice condition coupes can still be obtained at an affordable amounts and ownership of these iconic BMW coupes not become the exclusive domains of wealthy car collectors.

Bert
72 3.5 CSi
88 M6

Malc

Reaction score
The value is not really effected by the position of the steering wheel. Well that's for the UK.
However there are some countries where is is "illegal" to have the steering on the wrong side.
Malc

bela22

Reaction score
Interesting to compare an english and a german pricing of the E9 models.

Is the price difference because of the region ,or the LHD vs. RHD issue??

According to ClassicCars 0kt.2007 (UK):

worth of a 2000 CS (mint) 5250 Ł
2800 CS (mint) 6200 Ł
3.0 CS/CSi (mint) 9000 Ł
CSL (mint) 17500 Ł

According to Oldtimer katalog(Gunther Zink) (German) 2007

2000 CS (mint) 25000 EUR
2.5 CS (mint) 18700 EUR
3.0 CS (mint) 21100 EUR
3.0 CSi (mint) 24400 EUR
CSL no data available

So swhat do you guys think of this ??

Malc

Reaction score
It's a region / country issue
One thing about Germany the TUV (sort of equivalent of UK MOT) annual test is very very strict regarding corrosion, emmisions etc. Any repairs have to be done to a very high standard and thus rot boxes like the E9 are very hard to maintain to pass standards. This would equate to fewer survivors and then the old supply and demand equation kicks in.

An interesting comparison is the value of MGB's and MGA's around the world. THe prices are all over the place depending on the country, which I suspect is due to current tastes, perceptions of "classics" etc not the fact it's left or right hand drive.

Malc

tochi

Reaction score
The most desirable model is the

one with the steering wheel in the middle! If you can find one!

Seriously, Malc is spot on. Its the same reason why a nice 220V British toaster will likely fetch more $$$ in the UK than Hawaii!

The same argument may not hold true for Kilts or Grass Skirts in Vladivostok . A lot depends upon who wears them :wink: Although I suppose if the right model, politician or movie star drives a left hand drive to Goodwood, it might influence popularity.

mark

Reaction score
my 2c.

before finding a csl in australia last year. i was looking in eurpope, UK and australia for about 5 years for a concourse standard car, either for a LHD example to keep in norway or a RHD to keep in australia.

for CSLs, i reckon that LHD examples, at least sourced from europe, are quite a bit more expensive than UK or Australian RHD examples, although this may be explained by:

- all the rhd cars being town packs (i.e. worth less, presumably),
- there being so many more lhd examples out there (my perception anyway).
- my seeing examples from euro dealers in glossy magazines / not really seeing the US market (although i recall the inka on ebay last year was a big number).

as i said, just my 2c.

Malc

Reaction score
Mark,
For what I remember from my visits to Australia I saw a few LHD cars kicking about Perth with huge yellow stickers on them with LEFT HAND DRIVE written on them. I asked a guy why and he said you had to do that. Is that still the case? It's about 15 years since I was last there
Malc

mark

Reaction score
malc, you're right, that was the case a few years ago. today, lhd registration is possible in wa without a warning sticker. short of vintage ferraris though (fresh in my mind as i was admiring a lhd 330gtc on the weekend) , there's no doubt that left hook here will be worth a lot less than than right.

cheers,
mark

ps you are probably the only scot either not living in perth or not beenhere in the last 15 years.