Special very rare manual 4speed info needed

bmw2002

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've got a few questions on a set of Getrag gearboxes I bought from a racing guy.
1. One of the gearboxes has the following ratios: 1st 2.33, 2nd 1.5, 3rd 1.2, 4th 1. I found some info on these gearboxes. Apparently used in the later years of CSL racing by Luigi amongst others. Anybody knows why they moved from ZF 5 speed to Getrag 4 speeds. Any info on this box more than welcome.
2. Another one of the set has the following ratios: 1st 2.7, 2nd 1.5, 3rd 1.2, 4th 1. I didn't find anything on this 4speed. All information is welcome. Was this a rally close ratio 4soeed?
3. And then I bought a group of 3 ripped apart 5speeds. All are 5speed with 1st: 2.33. One comes from a 6series, one from a csl and one unknown. The csl one has 2nd and 3rd part of house in magnesium but first is alu. All 3 have 4th gear broken and I have only one ingoing axle in good condiion. Others ripped apard. Where can I find more parts for these boxes in order to complete them? At the moment it looks like I will only be able to re-construct one gearbox of these 3. Info on these gearboxes also apreciated.

I'll post pictures if interest...

bmw2002

Reaction score
Great. Thanks.
I will take some pics over the weekend and post them here...

Thanks for your help...
Tom

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Tom,

Suggest you contact Peter directly, IMO the only real items of value you would have are the mag intermediate casings. From what you described, nothing about various gears, layshafts, etc even if uncommon would be considered "very rare" or "collectable" to even anyone wanting such bits for a spot-on resto of a track car ... gearsets can be cut anywhere and now-a-days people do not drive these cars often enough or aggressively/competitively enough to warrant such fine-tuning for various tracks and various track setups. E9 historic racers have seen "investment value" increase so much no one risks driving them 10/10ths anymore...as if there are a lot of events where the cars can be really driven as they were back-in-the-day. I would LOVE to see one of those cars in a 6, 12, or 24 hour race again.

Oh, you may wish to do a thorough review of all Getrag offerings for 70's-early 80's to learn if the gear sets are unique, or if the ratios you outlined were available in other marque cars using the Getrag 4-speed.

The reason for ceasing use of the ZF 5-speed in the late 70's? Cost. By then the privateers were really on-the-cheap, especially after the first energy crisis. Where the ZF 5-speed was a very pricy racers-only item, the Getrag 4-speed was, comparatively speaking, a no-cost option.

Aus freund am fahren