starter problem

schnell540

Reaction score
Lots of juice from the battery; turn key, get a click but car won't turn over -- not even a weak grind. Solenoid, correct? Do I have to put in a whole new starter for that?

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Don't leave home without a broom stick to whack the solenoid.

My job tomorrow is to remove mine for rebuild or replacement. Think I will remove the dual 38/38 carbs/manifolds as a unit (I hope) to have a better shot at the bolts.

Good luck

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
The very first thing you want to do is very carefully check that all the battery cable connections are clean and tight.

Years ago, I kept replacing parts: battery, then starter (not fun even in a carb car) even cables. Finally had to put in a second ground cable from the battery to the engine block.

Last week, I finally solved the erratic starting problem I have been having in my Dodge Van by cleaning and tightening both ends of the battery ground cable, even though all looked clean and was tight to start with.

Tom M

Reaction score
You can get all the bits to repair the starter from your local Bosch dealer. All you need is the Bosch P/N of the starter.
However, the problem you describe is much more likely to be a poor connection in the high current path. Before you go to the trouble of removing the starter, get your test light out and troubleshoot the problem.

cpeavey

Reaction score
I agree - check the electrical connections. I had intermittent starter failures recently that I cured by replacing both of the smaller wires to the starter (not the one from the battery). On my '74 there's a little piece of the wiring harness that includes those two wires plus the oil pressure sensor lead, covered in vinyl sheath. They were all pretty crispy from age & heat. I replaced all three wires and the spade connectors on both ends. No more problems.

Charlie Peavey