Starter relay for auto tranny

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi there

I am converting to a 5 spd and would like to remove as much wiring related to the automatic tranny as possible. I think the pictures below are of the starter relay (#49 in Haynes manual) for a automatic tranny ('73-'75). I think I remember snipping the 2 brown-black wires when I removed the main auto tranny wiring harness.

Please confirm if it is and whether removal is as simple as unplugging the heavier black wire?

Thank you!

Bill

c3yBiuLcTcekov%G4TDUUg.jpg

U%EQx8AaTNetLGLtWifJ6w.jpg

sfgKqnDnRWKTcYDU8+fKjw.jpg

W2urV4ToQ6SnJDGaDJeUvA.jpg
I think I

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
That’s it but the relay sends power from terminal 30 to 87 when energized so you can’t just remove it.

Hi Chris,
What do I need to do? The only wires that are snipped are the 2 brown-black wires. The heavier black is intact and plugged in.

There is this black wire that is near the relay. Does it go to terminal 87?

Sorry...electrics and I do not mix well.

Cheers
Bill

s1TBBTgcQUy8UN9uz0RExA.jpg

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The ignition switch sends power to the starter with a black wire to the 6:00 position on the starter. With an auto it goes thru this relay which is triggered by the trans gear selector position. Your extra black wire must go to the starter, just confirm this. Then connect black to black.

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
The ignition switch sends power to the starter with a black wire to the 6:00 position on the starter. With an auto it goes thru this relay which is triggered by the trans gear selector position. Your extra black wire must go to the starter, just confirm this. Then connect black to black.

Thanks Chris,

I will trace those and report back...

Cheers,
Bill

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Terminal 30 is power from the ignition and a short black wire also jumps to the terminal for power to the magnet, those two brown wires go to gear selector and provides the ground for relay.

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi there

I have been thinking about how the auto tranny relay may work. Please comment and correct me if I am wrong; I'll appreciate that.

I have to recognize HB Chris; he has tolerated my questions and has provided sage advice. Thx!

The auto tranny relay had ground wires (brown-black) running to the tranny's gear selector/stick shift. When the tranny was in Park (or Neutral I think), the car could be started...because Park or Neutral grounded the relay and therefore the short black wire jumping from terminal 30 allowed 12V to flow through the relay to engage the starter motor. When the auto tranny was in Drive or Reverse, the ground was broken, the relay was opened and did not allow 12V to engage the starter.

Regards,
Bill

Last edited: