starter relay

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
I may be needing to replace the starter relay on my '72 CSA. But I cannot seem to identify the part number . I see 0 332 003 01 on the bottom of this Bosch unit. Any ideas? thanks Mike

Attachments

• SAM_2342.jpg
    SAM_2342.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 251
I don't think that's a starter relay? That's for carbs or the auto tranny?

What is your starter now doing/not doing?

I added a solenoid relay and it makes for very lively starts,

Last edited:
relay

Hi Steve,
well starter was just rebuilt from a trusted source. Right now when I turn key, starts fine, but sometimes just get click, nothing, then may work next try. Then again maybe not. I thought this relay was somehow connected. Yes, this on an automatic. Mike

starter safety relay

Blue book calls this a starter safety relay. When any of these 4 wires is removed, no start. Still have intermittent start. So I wonder where else these wires travel, if in fact this is a cause. Anyone else ever have to replace this one? Mike

Greetings Mike -

Relay 003 014 is indeed your starter relay only found on the automatic cars.
It is fed by red wire off fuse #4 (pin 30)
Pin 87 is your starter wire (big black)
Pin 86 and 86 are ground and power for the relay (black and brown/black)
Brown/black comes from the tranny
Black (little) comes directly from your ignition switch (big black) through a spade connector that reduces the gauge and thereby little black.

Starter must have good ignition switch, good relay and good ground from tranny neutral or park positions.

Item #30 in the schematic

http://www.e9coupe.com/tech/autobooks/appendix/autobooks_manual_154.htm

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 218
wow, so helpful. Thank you sfdon!
I saw that you had a reply yesterday,but could not get any further into the site. What agony! Happy we are up and running again.
Very detailed and practical info, as always, really appreciate this. BTW, I did try replacing this relay with a small round one and no difference. Suspecting some resistance in wires, but what you have provided gives me some direction. Thanks!
Mike

I suggest you run a jumper direct from vehicle ground to the brown/ black connection on the relay to rule out your transmission switch.

Steve,
you may remember this is where I started in January, with starter replacement! I had much trepidation, but after carbs were off, all that coolant splashed about, much cleaning and general freshening up, starter itself was not that difficult, but really would not want to do it again so soon :-( But starters have been incorrectly rebuilt before, I am sure. Thanks sfdon, I was wondering how to rule out trans switch, will do just that. Mike

Yes, I hope I'm wrong, the clicking/nothing is a concern but hopefully Don is onto a current interruption/drop somewhere.

Steve,
you may remember this is where I started in January, with starter replacement! I had much trepidation, but after carbs were off, all that coolant splashed about, much cleaning and general freshening up, starter itself was not that difficult, but really would not want to do it again so soon :-( But starters have been incorrectly rebuilt before, I am sure. Thanks sfdon, I was wondering how to rule out trans switch, will do just that. Mike

You bypassed the tranny switch and it now starts?
Did you do it ten times?

If the car starts perfectly now- you don't replace the starter.

Back