Starter won't turn

Rod Cole

Reaction score
Thought today would be a good day for my first ride this year. This is a '74 3.0 CS I started it a couple times this winter & kept the battery charged. Today I turned the key, listened for the fuel pump to get pressure up, and turned the rest of the way to crank position. No crank at all, don't believe I heard the solenoid click & very strangely the tach went up to about 2000 which really worries me. Just kinda wonder where to start (pun) looking~

sfdon

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Check connections at solenoid.
Had any varmints visiting?

Rod Cole

Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to look deeper into the issue, too much going on most of the time & I've been retired for almost 20 years. With that said, I did hook up a second, known good battery with jumpers but that won't prove a good ground. I'll be checking the solenoid & the only varmints are mice & chipmunks with the occasional red squirrel

Rod Cole

Reaction score
I guess I have this sorted and I kind of feel the fool! It's just a bad battery. This car has the triple Weber set-up, so, to pull the starter I had to remove the rear carb. After looking over all the wiring and checking it for a short I hot wired the starter to my spare good battery & it works fine. So, this morning I put it all back together again, and using my spare battery, fired it right up!! A question here is; why, having used a good battery with jumper cables the car did not even click. I put a volt meter on it & when I turned the key it dropped to 5 volt. Then after doing all that work for nothing, I take out the bad battery, install the one I used with the cables and it cranks. Can a bad battery suck all the volts out of a jumper battery? Also, what's any good to buy today, any recommendations ???

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well, further to my earlier comment, you may have improved the battery ground in the process of swapping the battery.

I have a Duracell red top in my car. And Bosch makes a battery that looks much more correct in our cars that many folks here have.

Rod Cole

Reaction score
Well, further to my earlier comment, you may have improved the battery ground in the process of swapping the battery.

I have a Duracell red top in my car. And Bosch makes a battery that looks much more correct in our cars that many folks here have.
This (improved ground) could be very true, in hind sight, the way I hooked up the jumpers if the ground was at fault the second battery made no difference!! My new issue came up from removing one of the side-drafts. While working on removing the carb I felt very upset at the overall dirty condition of the carbs, manifold, and for that matter the whole under hood area. It doesn't look like a small job!!!!!