Starting M30B28 - ignition coil problem

Adamski

Reaction score
hi all
a few days ago i managed to start my 2800 as it was not running for c. 15 years. After important checks and replacing parts like spark plugs and rotor arm i could turn the engine but it did't start.
The problem was with power circuit, when i did a shortcut and connected a wire between battery and ignition coil i could start otherwise not. Do i have same retro alarm fitted? To be honest i found some magic buttons under steering wheel and i don't know what are those for (exept orange one which i think is for hazard warnning lights). Thank you for any help.

[Broken External Image]:http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/931/res01126yv4.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/105/res01127xe1.jpg

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
I'd start with the (arrowed) black one, since I don't BMW installed any in that position. If it is original, the green switch was probably for fog lights. Can't think of what the yellow switch would be for either, so I guess I would look at that next. Maybe there is some sort of combination of 2 or 3 of them?!

gpetrus

Reaction score
The green I believe is for the fog lights, yellow for the rear defroster/demister, and the red is for the hazards.

I think you are correct that the black one on the bottom of the steering column is an alarm added on by a previous owner. It would make sense that it would prevent power from going to the starter from the ignition because the ignition wires run thru the steering column.

I've never seen a button on the steering column like yours on any other Coupe.

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The green I believe is for the fog lights, yellow for the rear defroster/demister, and the red is for the hazards.

I think you are correct that the black one on the bottom of the steering column is an alarm added on by a previous owner. It would make sense that it would prevent power from going to the starter from the ignition because the ignition wires run thru the steering column.

I've never seen a button on the steering column like yours on any other Coupe.

What Greg said.

gpetrus

Reaction score
The second picture shows another of the slight differences from the 2800s from the later models. The compartment door to the fuses and hood release is a chrome button on the earlier cars, and a black turn knob on later models.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Post subject

There were no black buttons placed there by the factory. Some aftermarket gadget alarm as suggested is the likely answer.

Out of curiosity what is the VIN # of your car-it may be a Euro 2800 CS because the green button for rear fog lights were required in that time for euro cars.

Not usually found on US spec cars except in that rare case where the light was added and rear trim panel chaged and hole cut in rear panel to accomodate same.

Adamski

Reaction score
Re: Post subject

blumax said:
...it may be a Euro 2800 CS...

i have euro spec cars only as im located in Europe.
Anyway i'll have to check the wiring in steering column, i remember i tried to start with black button pressed and no effect or there's some weird procedure e.g. hold for 30 sec.
Once again thank you for your help.