steel gauge

Tundra

Reaction score
What steel gauge should be used when repairing a fender/door etc. A patch needs to be welded. Is zinc plated or galvanized steel OK or should it be plain steel. Thanks for input

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not sure on the gauge, but you shouldn't use plated steel. Unplated with a sealer/inhibitor after the welding is fine.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
I use 20-22 gauge zinc-coated most of the time. This requires a little extra effort to clean the edges to be welded of the zinc coating first and I wear a respirator mask when welding because the zince fumes are toxic. Here in the mid-Atlantic it is humid and we get about 3" rain every month, so it is worth it to me. I use 18 gauge for structural repairs, inner rocker panel edges for example. The body sheet metal is not that thick.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
I have a couple of MIG welders and usually use .023 wire; I think it is ER70. The smaller diameter wire both limits the amount of heat and makes a smaller bead. My first MIG, bought about 25 years ago, was really made for heavier work. A few years ago, I bought a 110 volt Lincoln and it both made welding easier and did a nicer job on thinner metal. Now I don't use the old Systematics machine on anything less than 1/8" thick.

If I am doing exterior sheet metal, like a fender bottom, I tack the patch in place and then weld short beads, about 1/2" long, skipping around the patch to keep the heat down.

I usually use flap-wheel disks to grind the welds and they don't generate a lot of heat. I also learned my stud welder works pretty well for shrinking small areas if that is needed.

Tundra

Reaction score
Thank you all. That's exactly the info I was looking for. I'm sure it will help others.