Steering Play?

josante

Reaction score
Hi, guys!!! Long time lurker (sounds pervert-like), first-time poster.

I've got a 72 CS with maybe 10 - 15 degrees of steering play either way before one feels resistance on the steering wheel. This is while parked and turned off of course, once it's on that play is less easy to ID as the power steering system comes into play. Clearly, SOMETHING'S worn somewhere down the line -- how could it no be in a car this age? -- but, before I start throwing money indiscriminately at the steering system, I wanted to tap on the conventional wisdom here as to what part(s) would be the most likely culprit(s) in this case. Oh, and part numbers would be MOST appreciated if you have them.

Thanks in advance,

Julian Osante
'72 3.0cs
"02 530i

josante

Reaction score
Hi, guys!!! Long time lurker (sounds pervert-like), first-time poster.

I've got a 72 CS with maybe 10 - 15 degrees of steering play either way before one feels resistance on the steering wheel. This is while parked and turned off of course, once it's on that play is less easy to ID as the power steering system comes into play. Clearly, SOMETHING'S worn somewhere down the line -- how could it no be in a car this age? -- but, before I start throwing money indiscriminately at the steering system, I wanted to tap on the conventional wisdom here as to what part(s) would be the most likely culprit(s) in this case. Oh, and part numbers would be MOST appreciated if you have them.

Thanks in advance,

Julian Osante
'72 3.0cs
"02 530i

bengal taiga

Reaction score
josante said:
I've got a 72 CS with maybe 10 - 15 degrees of steering play either way before one feels resistance on the steering wheel.

Clearly, SOMETHING'S worn somewhere down the line -- how could it no be in a car this age?

Your E9 uses much the same conventional steering set up as countless other cars and checking for wear and play is therefore very similar.

At the top of the steering box is an adjustment nut that has been discussed elsewhere in this forum. Then, your best approach might be to safely jack the car up and get underneath it while having a helper move the steering wheel to and fro. You have four tie rod ends, all of which could be worn or loose. The center drag link has a couple of joints that are prime suspects too. Idler arm bushings - - and the list goes on.

It is also possible (but less probable) that the flex disk (under the dash) that connects the steering column to the steering wheel is "on its last legs", but I would think you would feel that at any point of the steering wheel rotation.

Possible wear, like you are describing could be visible but wearing gloves and feeling the joints as the move would be better. While you are down there, check those wheel bearings and ball joints. This is better described in a manual than here.

hth

bengal taiga

Reaction score
josante said:
I've got a 72 CS with maybe 10 - 15 degrees of steering play either way before one feels resistance on the steering wheel.

Clearly, SOMETHING'S worn somewhere down the line -- how could it no be in a car this age?

Your E9 uses much the same conventional steering set up as countless other cars and checking for wear and play is therefore very similar.

At the top of the steering box is an adjustment nut that has been discussed elsewhere in this forum. Then, your best approach might be to safely jack the car up and get underneath it while having a helper move the steering wheel to and fro. You have four tie rod ends, all of which could be worn or loose. The center drag link has a couple of joints that are prime suspects too. Idler arm bushings - - and the list goes on.

It is also possible (but less probable) that the flex disk (under the dash) that connects the steering column to the steering wheel is "on its last legs", but I would think you would feel that at any point of the steering wheel rotation.

Possible wear, like you are describing could be visible but wearing gloves and feeling the joints as the move would be better. While you are down there, check those wheel bearings and ball joints. This is better described in a manual than here.

hth