Steering Wheel Leather Wrap Kit & More Exhaust Sound?

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi all, I've got a mechanically restored 3.0CS that will hopefully be getting a full repaint and interior restoration within the next few years. For now, I'm really enjoying driving it and getting more familiar with the wonderful aspects of this beautiful car, along with its odd traits (power window speed, noisy clock, etc.)

1) Anyway, before I restore this beauty, I'd like to make the original bus- diameter plastic steering wheel more useful by making it a little thicker and wrapping it in black leather. I've browsed various steering wheel wrap kits out there, such as Wheelskins, but they don't seem well suited to my car.

Can anyone recommend a good DIY kit for the original steering wheel, preferably with some padding underneath to make the rim fill my hands a little more?

2) I've read elsewhere in this forum that simply removing the center resonator in my original 3 piece exhaust system will provide more exhaust sound without going overboard in the dbs? (It does seem overboard to have that large forward muffler, center resonator and rear muffler, but I'm sure it was well thought out originally by BMW with respect to back pressure, sound quality, etc. so I'm somewhat uncertain about making any changes.)

Thanks in advance.

Wayne

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome Wayne!

Sorry I cant help either question, but I think you might get a little more exposure on the General Discussion header also. Welcome to the fun, its a great bunch of folks. Dave V. in NC

pj

Reaction score
Wayne,
I removed the center resonator and installed a Magnaflow muffler (I can't remember the # do a search here and you should find it. Happy with the sound , not to loud when driven normal, sounds great when the LOUD pedal gets used.